SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 Boats, Motors & Kayaks
 Garmin Vs Navman
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rick
Salmon

Australia
40 Posts

Member No: #477

Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rick's Homepage Send Rick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear All,

Im putting a basic fixed mount GPS in my new boat. Ive narrowed it down to the Garmin 126 versus the Navman 500i.

Experiences? Recommendations??

Many thanks

Rick

sambo
Marlin

Australia
470 Posts

Member No: #964

Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile Send sambo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have the garmin 126 and have had no problems with it.

Sambo
Go to Top of Page

Willo
Marlin

Australia
846 Posts

Member No: #197

Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  4:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Willo's Homepage Send Willo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also use a Garmin 126

Willo

Go to Top of Page

snarker
Sailfish

Australia
285 Posts

Member No: #869

Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  4:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit snarker's Homepage Send snarker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a garmin 12 is probly a lot smaller than your's yet i have had no prob's with at all it's great. got the car kit for it so I can use it for shooting and fishing. In both cases has saved me from becoming geographicly embarressed. so if your modle is bigger and better go for the Garmin.

snarker

Have fun. I do.

Edited by - snarker on 15 Apr 2002 4:59:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

elegant bass
Yellowfin

Australia
148 Posts

Member No: #715

Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  7:19:16 PM  Show Profile Send elegant bass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GO whit garmin

BIG BAD BASS
Go to Top of Page

Tonton
Yellowfin

107 Posts

Member No: #1253

Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  8:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonton's Homepage Send Tonton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a different model Navman than you are looking at (900) - can't find anything wrong with it.

Cheers,
Tony

Go to Top of Page

Tonton
Yellowfin

107 Posts

Member No: #1253

Posted - 15 Apr 2002 :  8:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonton's Homepage Send Tonton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must also add that the Navman is a whole lot better than my Hummingbird sounder

Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 16 Apr 2002 :  05:11:41 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, i have the 500i in my boat, and find the fuel computer is something i woud'nt be w'out. it is just so handy for checking cinsumption at cruise speeds to find the "sweet spot " on the day!
As for the nav system, i find it harder to nav to a waypoint than my old apelco handheld.Also have to be careful to add a w/point "at the boat". I went looking for a rod one of the crew had dropped over the side at split rock the next week and found the waypoint was 500ks away at Nambucca 'cause i'd entered new w/point but the default is "at cursor"
Overall a good unit , i'm happy with it and love the fuel computer!!Spend the extra $90 if you get the Navman!!!

Every-one wants to be an Individual.

Every-one else does Too.

Punkin
Go to Top of Page

Iain Williams
Mackeral

Australia
50 Posts

Member No: #2496

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  10:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Iain Williams's Homepage Send Iain Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a Garmin GPS 12XL (use it for hiking also)and have had no problems at all - good service from GME and reliability is excellent. Garmin are at the forefront of GPS technology that is affordable to most people.

I also have NAVMAN fuel consumption gauge which is SUPER! It can be read alone and not in conjunction with the NAVMAN chart plotter. I like the redundancy and at $300.00 it cost basically nothing!!

ID Williams
Go to Top of Page

Tathra464
Mackeral

Australia
68 Posts

Member No: #1869

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  9:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tathra464's Homepage Send Tathra464 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rick

I have a Garman GCP12 ,and a GPSmap 182, I used to use the GPS12 in the lakes and rivers, never had a problem with it, batteries seem to last forever, and reliable, what more can i say.

Go to Top of Page

fisherbill
Pilchard

Australia
3 Posts

Member No: #2020

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  9:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit fisherbill's Homepage Send fisherbill a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have NAVMAN 900 a couple of years now so far no problems, I have heard GARMIN are very good also.

Go to Top of Page

Sumaset
Mackeral

Australia
78 Posts

Member No: #2304

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  10:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sumaset's Homepage Send Sumaset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Really Like The navman Product,You Buy a Top Quality Product with The Advantage of Au Dollars against Kiwi Dollars Rather than a Mediocre product that you are really paying a premium for in au against u.s.$ Navmans Gps 500i is a beaut unit with a fuel monitoring unit that , in other brands costs way more than the entire unit. For goodness sake don't dismiss it
Sumaset

Go to Top of Page

nobby
Salmon

Australia
22 Posts

Member No: #2551

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  10:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit nobby's Homepage Send nobby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have the 500I tracker, which I have had for two years with no faults as yet. It having the ability of a fuel transducer is a benefit toworking out optimum cruising is great. I can use the navman with one hand which is great in rough water, you only need a thumb to use the controls.
Nobby!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000