SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 General Fishing
 Electronics & Electrics
 Reliable dual batteries
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scruff
Marlin

Australia
1476 Posts

Member No: #4670

Posted - 29 Oct 2010 :  11:29:17 PM  Show Profile Send scruff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a mate look at my boat with dual batteries. He did'nt like the way I earthed to the hull. Said its wrong.
People do things a different way but is there an actual true blue, aus standards sheet, on how to wire dual batteries in an alloy boat.
Scruff

grex
Sailfish

Australia
215 Posts

Member No: #5979

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  09:36:13 AM  Show Profile Send grex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scruff Your friend is 100% correct. The boat should never ever be used as the earth.

Boats are not like cars , especially older model cars where the earth went to the body.

The main issue is electrolous , being alloy it's supprising the boat is not corroding away.

Suggest this is corrected ASAP

In respect to an Aus standard , not that I'm aware of as basically there is no rocket science in wireing a boat.
In brief , neg & pos wireing runs from the battery to terminal blocks , normally mounted up near (under) the dash & the various electrics connect into those blocks via switches.

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

catchinem
Salmon

Australia
39 Posts

Member No: #9840

Posted - 19 Jan 2011 :  6:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see catchinem's MSN Messenger address  Send catchinem a Yahoo! Message Send catchinem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this is fairly standard practice by most pressed alloy boat manufacturers.
I spend a lot of my time rewiring 2-4yr old boats especially pressed tinnies.
No boat should ever earth to body as Grex said also is destroys wiring extra quick.
wiring should only ever connect to a battery in an ideal world.
Also if i was you I would check the whole circuit electrical tape should not be used on a boat nor should many other things they do. everything soldered no plain crimps without solder not heatshrink without sikaflex or liquid electrical tape under it (unless hot glue infused)

CATchinEm not fishing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000