SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 General Fishing
 The Tackle Box
 soft plastic snapper & squid jigs
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John00
Pilchard

Australia
8 Posts

Member No: #12873

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile Send John00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

OK. Looking for some advice.
Question 1. I would like to try soft plastics on snapper, should i use the conventional patanostra type rig with the sinker on the bottom and a couple of plastics up the chain OR just a single plastic cast out andlet it float down?????? any tips

Question 2. I would like to learn about jigging for squid or calamari. Do you simply attach the jig and cast out letting it sink (how far is the optium depth) then retreive. Whats sort of areas should i look for the squid to be in. Any tips would be appreciated.

cheers
john00

HookedOnTackle
Sailfish

Australia
226 Posts

Member No: #10669

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  03:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit HookedOnTackle's Homepage  Click to see HookedOnTackle's MSN Messenger address Send HookedOnTackle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Catch magazine has a good article on squidding (based in Moreton Bay/Brisbane) but the basics should be pretty similar everywhere.

Snapper on soft plastics require some manipulation. The latest packages for gulps have four examples of rigging on the back of them. But whatever works...

Born to fish.
Go to Top of Page

Itchy Freckle
Pilchard

Australia
5 Posts

Member No: #12886

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  12:58:29 PM  Show Profile Send Itchy Freckle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yo Johnoo, When chasing Squid I look for weedie ground or broken patchy weed and sand.
The depth varies a lot, some big squid hang out in the shallows from 3 feet deep - 15 ft deep being about as deep as I fish.. Not to say that they are not in deeper waters..As for how light line seems to work best and is more fun ..Set your self a drift and casting into the wind let your Jig sink, you can jig it all you want Dunno if it makes a difference. I normally have 2 or 3 jigs out at a time and wait for them to start smokin.. Good Luck ... if i could work out how to post up a picture i could show you a couple of Ink stains.....Itchy
Go to Top of Page

bbayjohn
Salmon

45 Posts

Member No: #12780

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  8:51:36 PM  Show Profile Send bbayjohn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When using SP's
I like to on the drift cast one ahead and drag another behind. I use 6lb braid with a 10lb leader to jighead. Use the uni knot to join the 2 lines together ( no swivel) Then a uni knot down to the jighead & back it off a little. I like to use 1/4 or 1/8th jig head depending on current in water up to 30mtrs. In deeper water a heavier jig head is required. I try to have the lure swim mid water but still drift down slowly.

Same rig for squid jigs fished much the same way over weedy areas. But aiming to jig just off the bottom without snaging weed. If you do gather some weed remove it from the lure. I also find that it is more of a sighting in clear shallow water and throwing lures.

Try different coloured lures until you can find what is working on the day.

Catch Ya L8ter
BBJ
Please Mr Mod Sir , can I have an avatar?
Go to Top of Page

lost
Marlin

731 Posts

Member No: #9488

Posted - 29 Jul 2008 :  06:50:19 AM  Show Profile Send lost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
paternosta is a good rig to setup and leave in the rod holder, the fish seem to like it. I prefer a small ball sinker above a worm hook in the deeper stuff or a 1/4 - 1/2oz head for shallow water and wash work. snapper have sharp teeth and I wouldnt use anything below 20lb fc.

my 2c from this side of the ditch.

Go fish
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  05:40:42 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbayjohn

When using SP's
I like to on the drift cast one ahead and drag another behind. I use 6lb braid with a 10lb leader to jighead. Use the uni knot to join the 2 lines together ( no swivel) Then a uni knot down to the jighead & back it off a little. I like to use 1/4 or 1/8th jig head depending on current in water up to 30mtrs. In deeper water a heavier jig head is required. I try to have the lure swim mid water but still drift down slowly.

Same rig for squid jigs fished much the same way over weedy areas. But aiming to jig just off the bottom without snaging weed. If you do gather some weed remove it from the lure. I also find that it is more of a sighting in clear shallow water and throwing lures.

Have you caught many snapper with this rig John?

Anything of any size?

I'm with Lost here, i wouldn't use anything under 20lb as leader, and i've seen plenty of smokins on 20lb leader and 12 pound braid. But it may be that we fish in water with a different average size of fish. We're throwing back fish under a kilo, with the average being two to four kilos and plenty round much bigger. After four or five kilos you better be quick to start the boat and give chase when they hit in shallow water or it's goodbye Johhnnnnyyy.
Have you seen what the teeth of a big fella will do to a leadhead?

12 to 14 gm jigheads and 5 to 6 inch plastics in water from 8 to 30 metres will certainly work for you, lighter heads can be used at the shallow end of this range, but the heavier ones will still work fine.

Punkin

Cry me an ocean, you ugly rat of a thing...

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

you are a peanut that is passionate about what you can afford

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

I agree with the pelicans,

Edited by - punkin on 31 Jul 2008 05:43:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

lost
Marlin

731 Posts

Member No: #9488

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  08:06:32 AM  Show Profile Send lost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont actually use fc unless I am wash fishing, more marketing BS when fishing for the humble snapper that will eat ANYTHING when its hungry. 40lb supple trace is my favourite for snapper fishing where fish size ranges from 1-8ishkg.

I have a pic of a jighead somewhere that had been smashed by snapper will see if I can find it

Go fish
Go to Top of Page

hsd
Salmon

22 Posts

Member No: #12845

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  1:01:30 PM  Show Profile Send hsd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
havent fished sp for snapper so cant help

your from wagga but havent said where your fishing for squid and snapper.

depending on what type of squid and where makes a difference. if your after arrow squid on bass strait. A buryley trail will help alot and instead of your squid jigs they love a pillie on one of those squid rigs designed for using bait. just float it down the trail and leave your rod in the holder they are agressive and will hook them selves.

if chasing your normal squid off the rocks. a simple squid jig attached to the end of your line, cast out and retrieve i find a jig and retrieve method works well. in a boat using the same method along with having a couple on floats if there is a slight chop this gives jiggin action on its own and will account for alot of takes.
hope this helps

cheers
Go to Top of Page

John00
Pilchard

Australia
8 Posts

Member No: #12873

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  4:32:32 PM  Show Profile Send John00 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hsd

havent fished sp for snapper so cant help

your from wagga but havent said where your fishing for squid and snapper.

depending on what type of squid and where makes a difference. if your after arrow squid on bass strait. A buryley trail will help alot and instead of your squid jigs they love a pillie on one of those squid rigs designed for using bait. just float it down the trail and leave your rod in the holder they are agressive and will hook them selves.

if chasing your normal squid off the rocks. a simple squid jig attached to the end of your line, cast out and retrieve i find a jig and retrieve method works well. in a boat using the same method along with having a couple on floats if there is a slight chop this gives jiggin action on its own and will account for alot of takes.
hope this helps

cheers

fishing the Batemans Bay area.
thanks for the tips.

cheers
john00
Go to Top of Page

bbayjohn
Salmon

45 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  10:31:50 PM  Show Profile Send bbayjohn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punkin

quote:
Originally posted by bbayjohn

When using SP's

Have you caught many snapper with this rig John?

Anything of any size?

I'm with Lost here, i wouldn't use anything under 20lb as leader, and i've seen plenty of smokins on 20lb leader and 12 pound braid. But it may be that we fish in water with a different average size of fish. We're throwing back fish under a kilo, with the average being two to four kilos and plenty round much bigger. After four or five kilos you better be quick to start the boat and give chase when they hit in shallow water or it's goodbye Johhnnnnyyy.
Have you seen what the teeth of a big fella will do to a leadhead?

12 to 14 gm jigheads and 5 to 6 inch plastics in water from 8 to 30 metres will certainly work for you, lighter heads can be used at the shallow end of this range, but the heavier ones will still work fine.

Hi punkin
Fishin Batemans Bay
Caught a few today biggest was 3kg.I Use a Jappense Flurocarbon leader. It takes a bit of skill & luck with a 6kg rod. Also got busted off by a couple of freight trains. Maybe if I used aq heavier rod and line I might of got it in but you dont seem to get as many bites with a heavy leader.
P.S a mate scored a 8.5kg durring the week but he uses a Bimini twist. Maybe I need to practise this knot.

Catch Ya L8ter
BBJ
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  06:27:54 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well there ya go, we have a money comp coming up, so maybe i need to start stunt fishing too

Punkin

Cry me an ocean, you ugly rat of a thing...

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

you are a peanut that is passionate about what you can afford

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

I agree with the pelicans,

Go to Top of Page

bbayjohn
Salmon

45 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  7:23:18 PM  Show Profile Send bbayjohn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When fishing so lite be sure that the drag is running very smooth and back it of a little. You can also adjust the drag while fighting, just rember to back it off again. Thats how I missed a freght train I forrgot to loosen the drag again. Oh well will try again next week.

Catch Ya L8ter
BBJ
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000