SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Sportsfish Notice Board
 Fishing Events Calender
 Canberra Carp-Out - $5,000 major prize.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Member No: #131

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  1:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Attention Canberra anglers,

The Canberra Fisherman's Club in partnership with Tackle World Canberra and Capital Chemists will be holding a "Canberra Carp-Out" fishing competition on Sunday 16th March, from 10am-3pm at Lennox Gardens.

The major prize of $5,000 cash will be decided by Mystery Weight (you just need to catch a carp to be eligible), plus there are lots of other prizes of gift vouchers and fishing gear. There will be some fishing-related activities on the day and a sausage sandwich lunch (gold coin donation). All money raised will be split 50/50 between restocking the lakes and a donation to the Eden Monaro Cancer Support Group.

The entry form can be downloaded from our website. The listed sponsors will be accepting entries from later this week, or contact me directly and I can take your details.

Cheers
Shane J

"The only thing worse than losing is QUITTING"

Edited by - shanej on 26 Feb 2008 1:21:02 PM

Tarkan
Marlin

Australia
650 Posts

Member No: #11860

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  7:27:01 PM  Show Profile Send Tarkan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds good,

but the Parramatta Carp Fishout was a fizza, is it going to be easier to catch carp in Canberra?

Can't think of anything I want to say here.
Go to Top of Page

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  7:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We caught a dozen between 3 of us in 2.5 hours last Sunday. There are PLENTY here, anyone with half an idea shouldn't struggle to catch a few. It's rare to miss out at this time of year.

Cheers
Shane J

Go to Top of Page

Khat
Salmon

Australia
32 Posts

Member No: #12478

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  4:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Khat's Homepage Send Khat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Havent had much luck with the carp lately, went to the carpathon few weeks ago caught no carp, got alot of redfin on squidgys though. Don't know what I am doing wrong with the carp. I am using corn trying different areas of lake burley griffen but no luck. any tips?

Yes I'll be there.
Go to Top of Page

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  2:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Khat,

We have caught 42 now over the last 4 trips (including 17 at the carpathon, biggest was 7.7kg, 2 more over 5kg). They are still around .

Are you using berley? Try some breadcrumbs mixed with a tin of creamed corn and just enough water to get it to stick together when you grab a handful and squeeze it (my mate's recipe, he catches the most fish). A handful or so every 10-15 min and fish 2-3 kernels of corn on a #8 or #10 hook with a pea sized sinker. I've also had a bit of luck recently using berley cages, still experimenting, but seem to be good.

Cheers
Shane J

Go to Top of Page

Khat
Salmon

Australia
32 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  8:00:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Khat's Homepage Send Khat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks shanej, no have not used berley but will definatly give it a try. Basically I have just been using a bit of corn and casting it out with out luck. Have however been catching redfin by the dozens on squidgys.

Don't expect you to tell me ya secret spot but is black mountain peninsula a good enough spot? havent actually tried it but hear its a good spot.

by the way congratulations on the fish 7.7kg!! great.
Go to Top of Page

beer
Yellowfin

Australia
126 Posts

Member No: #12055

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  10:11:13 PM  Show Profile Send beer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ive been fishing for them too recently (got some today actually) didnt have any luck on the corn, but we got them on bread, with bread for burley as well. Most fish between 1.5 - 3 kg. For the rig I just use 3kg leader straight to a size 6 hook with a small float about 4-6 inches above the hook. Ive found them to be picky buggers at times, playing with the baits rather than eating them, you can watch the float get sucked down and bob back up for 5 mins with no runs. Other times they just smash and grab. Found the first run to be good but they give up pretty quick once you turn their heads and start reeling them in. Still, great fun on the light gear, gives me something to do when the bream arent biting or it's too windy on the saltwater.
Go to Top of Page

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  1:22:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, bread is very good bait too. Actually, I think the majority of the ones we got at the carpathon were on bread, now that I think about it.

Haven't fished Black Mountain Peninsula for carp. One of the better redfin spots though .

Another one of my tricks is to use circle hooks. You can get a size 6 Mustad light guage circle which is fantastic. Just let them swim off with the bait, no need to strike.

You do get some days where they just don't seem to hook up though. I think some of the missed "strikes" are actually just fish swimming through your line.

Cheers
Shane J

Edited by - shanej on 05 Mar 2008 1:23:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Khat
Salmon

Australia
32 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  4:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Khat's Homepage Send Khat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks for all the tips, I am going to make up some berley and have a go Friday after work, properly start at the peninsula and see how I go try a couple of other spots. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Khat
Salmon

Australia
32 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2008 :  6:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Khat's Homepage Send Khat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well didn't win the 5 grand lol but using the berly and trying a new spot I caught 6 carp smallest 1.4 kg up to 2.1 kg and a 330 gram redfin, all in all had a great day and finally found a could spot for carp. Can't wait till next year.
Go to Top of Page

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2008 :  11:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a day! I'm still recovering from the 1400+ anglers and over 750 fish. Will post a wrap up in a couple of days.

Cheers
Shane J

Go to Top of Page

Matt
Toadfish

Australia
4784 Posts

Member No: #362

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  10:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Matt's MSN Messenger address Send Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shanej

Wow, what a day! I'm still recovering from the 1400+ anglers and over 750 fish. Will post a wrap up in a couple of days.

Wow That many people and fish caught Shane! Can't wait for the write up

Cheers
Windy

The Windy One
www.ausbream.com.au
Go to Top of Page

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1,411 entrants took part in the inaugural "Canberra Carp-Out", with 922 adults and 489 juniors trying their luck at snagging the $5,000 cash prize.

A total of 702kg of pest fish were removed from Lake Burley Griffin (609kg of carp averaging 1.8kg and 93kg of Redfin averaging 200g), the 793 fish keeping the weighmaster busy for the entire day.

Heaviest carp was a good fish of 6.23kg caught by Herrero Fransisco. There were 7 carp weighed in over 4kg.

Heaviest Redfin was a cracker at 1.28kg, caught by Nathan Wright. There was one other fish over 1kg, plus another 5 over 750g.

The $5,000 Mystery Weight prize was won by Jade Anderson of Lyneham.

To those that stayed around for the presentations, I should apologise for the delay due to computer problems and thank you for your patience waiting in the sun. Also, it took a fair while to weigh all the fish at the end of the day, something we will be looking at if we do it again next year.

Once again, I would like to thank all our sponsors, Tackle World Canberra, WIN Television, Capital Chemists, Longpark Meat Co and the Australian Government Recreational Fishing Community Grant Program for helping make the day a success. A special thank you to Gary Cairns and Patrick "Patto" Martin from Tackle World for making their staff available to assist on the day, and to Gary for putting up the $5,000 prize.

Cheers
Shane J

Edited by - shanej on 22 Mar 2008 10:49:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Keith
Marlin

Australia
1507 Posts

Member No: #92

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  7:28:44 PM  Show Profile Send Keith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shane please dont put it on same day as the F1 GP next year. I would have volunteered to help out until I saw the clash. I hope the nominated charity gets plenty.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  9:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries Keith. I thought I recorded the GP but got home and the TV had been on ABC .

Cheers
Shane J

Go to Top of Page

Crocket
Salmon

Australia
11 Posts

Member No: #12586

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  09:53:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crocket's Homepage Send Crocket a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What happened to the 750kg of fish after the comp?

I know they are a pest fish, but hopefully you made sure they were killed quickly and correctly.

Dave

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000