SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 FishChat (general)
 Best Bait for Carp?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tarkan
Marlin

Australia
650 Posts

Member No: #11860

Posted - 31 Jan 2008 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile Send Tarkan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Just getting ready for the Carp Fishout this weekend (although I got no response from my registration email, I'll turn up early anyway).

What's the best bait to use for Carp. I searched this forum and some other sites and most people seem to say Corn kernels. Other's say live worms and a few more say anything greesy and fatty like bacon!

What do you all think?

re the corn kernels, raw or canned?

Can't think of anything I want to say here.

New fish
Pilchard

Australia
1 Posts

Member No: #13978

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  02:21:16 AM  Show Profile Send New fish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I answer this question, not so much for the person who wrote it all that time ago but more for the lad googling the answer.
In my experience fishing for carp i have used everything from garlic/curry sausage through to worms, prawn meat, potato, boilies, canned peas and all sorts of slimy and often smelly stuff. Having said that, the one bait that has out shone them all without doubt has consistently been canned corn kernels. just pop one or two large kernels on each hook. (fishing rules allow two hooks per line in my area). Quite often you will read that a hook completely covered with corn may be left alone and although i can vouch for 6-7 kernel baits being no where near as popular with the fish as the two kernel baits, I have still caught carp on fully baited hooks. I tend to use two size 8 suicide (octopus) hooks in a paternoster rig with 20lB line and 3oz sinker. No finesse in my methods and i am not to proud to admit that i have been snapped off in the snags by some monsters more than once!
The added benefit is you can throw a tablespoon of it into the water as burley or even eat the rest of the can toward the end of your fishing trip. Doesn't smell bad either.
Hope this helps.
New fish

Any fish is a good fish.
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  05:34:41 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No mention of bread/

The most versatile bait in the stillwater world works just fine on carp.

Punkin

Cry me an ocean, you ugly rat of a thing...

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

you are a peanut that is passionate about what you can afford

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

I agree with the pelicans,

Go to Top of Page

thomo
Yellowfin

Australia
137 Posts

Member No: #1405

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  10:24:37 AM  Show Profile Send thomo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
punkin is right...i only use bread for carps and get them everytime...a few slices dipped in water and moulded into a dough, then put a little ball of dough on your hook..guaranteed!
cheers
tom

Edited by - thomo on 08 Feb 2010 10:25:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

shanej
Swamp Trout

Australia
3778 Posts

Member No: #131

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit shanej's Homepage Send shanej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What carp comp Tarkan?

Bread, corn or worms. I normally fish one rod with bread and one with corn (or one of each bait on a 2 hook rig). If the one bait gets 2 or 3 fish in a row, I swap over to that bait. Bread has been the most successful for me over the last year or so.

Berley is the key in my opinion. Breadcrumbs and a tin of creamed corn mixed with a bit of water so that it disintegrates and sinks in a "cloud" when ou throw out a handful is what you want.

Cheers
Shane J

"The only thing worse than losing is QUITTING"
Go to Top of Page

warradan
Mackeral

Australia
79 Posts

Member No: #8804

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  4:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit warradan's Homepage Send warradan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go the corn kernels!
Go to Top of Page

Jigflicker
Salmon

Australia
12 Posts

Member No: #8032

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  11:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jigflicker's Homepage Send Jigflicker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fish unweighted bread baits in a berley trail,we absolutely destroy our local carp using this method. If you want the bread to sink squeeze the bread into a ball and for more casting distance dip the bread into water before you cast.we usually fish 1-4kg bream spin rods with 4lb braid, We have a ball catching carp(or as we call them albert river cod)up to 6kg with this method

Edited by - Jigflicker on 08 Feb 2010 11:50:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 09 Feb 2010 :  8:02:56 PM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's how we teach the little kids to fish round here too

Unweighted size 4 hooks, bit of bread, 6lb leader and 4lb briad on a $20 spinning reel and soft rod.

if they can't land the fish in the drains round here (4-8lb) they can't progress to the rivers where the bigger fish are till they do.

The drains are pretty snaggy though and mud and weed in close, so they loose the odd one...

Punkin

Cry me an ocean, you ugly rat of a thing...

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

you are a peanut that is passionate about what you can afford

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

I agree with the pelicans,

Go to Top of Page

lessly
Mackeral

Australia
87 Posts

Member No: #13414

Posted - 16 Feb 2010 :  8:05:12 PM  Show Profile Send lessly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have caught some really big one's using willow grubs/ bardie grubs. use chicken pellets soaked in river water for berley, cast a un-waited bait out and wait. being a larger bait i fish with the bail open so that they can swollow the bait. i find the grubs in winter time in old trees that are starting to rot. you notice the saw dust like litter under and around the trees. if the grubs are found once the temp starts rising the begin to turn into the butterfly/moth. i call them alliens, they are no good for bait when they are like this as they are really soft and fall off the hook just by there weight. i have caught some really big bass on them to 580mm was my biggest last winter. i hope this helps

kingie
Go to Top of Page

Jigflicker
Salmon

Australia
12 Posts

Member No: #8032

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  10:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jigflicker's Homepage Send Jigflicker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Jigflicker

Fish unweighted bread baits in a berley trail,we absolutely destroy our local carp using this method. If you want the bread to sink squeeze the bread into a ball and for more casting distance dip the bread into water before you cast.we usually fish 1-4kg bream spin rods with 4lb braid, We have a ball catching carp(or as we call them albert river cod)up to 6kg with this method
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000