SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 General Fishing
 Boats, Motors & Kayaks
 Webster Twinfisher
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

2up
Salmon

Australia
41 Posts

Member No: #10677

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  8:35:47 PM  Show Profile Send 2up a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have taken delivery of a 4.9 Mtr Centre consule Webster, very basic & getting used to it. Have not been too brave yet. Appreciate any clues and responses. 2up.

Edited by - Matt on 23 Aug 2007 08:23:58 AM

Fishernut
Marlin

Australia
630 Posts

Member No: #10548

Posted - 25 Jan 2007 :  8:47:34 PM  Show Profile Send Fishernut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
take your time 2up

enjoy the ride
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  06:40:47 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2up

Have taken delivery of a 4.9 Mtr Centre consule Webster, very basic & getting used to it. Have not been too brave yet. Appreciate any clues and responses. 2up.

I've got a 4.3, experiment with the trim. If you don't feel like you are getting enough trim response, or the boat just doesn't feel like it's as responsive as it should be, i strongly suggest looking into a foil on the motor. Either a permatrim or otherwise, it made a world of difference to my boat. Next most valuable addition performance wise was a Solas prop. The boat was a different vessel completely once we'd found the right prop for it, more responsive on acceleration, more tuneable with trim, faster on mid range, carried weight better and held plane better at low speeds with the combo of the foil and prop.

Hmmm...where next...

Get that sorted and i'll start talking about hydraulic steering ect

What are you gunna use the boat for 2up?

Punkin

Cry me an ocean, you ugly rat of a thing...

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

you are a peanut that is passionate about what you can afford

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

I agree with the pelicans,

Go to Top of Page

Trim
Marlin

Australia
321 Posts

Member No: #10607

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  02:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Trim's Homepage Send Trim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Punkin

What was the dif with the Solas prop and how much they worth? What size did you fit to your motor (hp size too please)- as I 'm contemplating at a later date for my two 50 hp Hondas. Cheers Trim

Too Many Fish Too Few Days!
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  06:47:43 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trim

Hey Punkin

What was the dif with the Solas prop and how much they worth? What size did you fit to your motor (hp size too please)- as I 'm contemplating at a later date for my two 50 hp Hondas. Cheers Trim

Jeez, i'm goin back awhile there Trim, i'd have to pull the boat outa the shed and slip the prop off. Solas prices are in the mags or give em a ring. Seem to recall they were around $240 for alloy (which i got) and $450 for stainless. I've got a 50hp 4/ Yammie and Steve the manager had firm ideas as to which prop was right for the Webster/Yammie combo.
I wasn't happy with the one he sent and sent it back, they put even more cupping in it and it made the world of difference.
Just give em a ring and talk to Steve, he knows his props.

Punkin

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Trim
Marlin

Australia
321 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  10:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Trim's Homepage Send Trim a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
I wasn't happy with the one he sent and sent it back, they put even more cupping in it and it made the world of difference.

Punkin - many thanks - amazing what that cupping does to the props ability to push the boat along isn't it?

Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  1:06:02 PM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trim

quote:

Punkin - many thanks - amazing what that cupping does to the props ability to push the boat along isn't it?

Incredible. The improvements were all where i needed em too, low and especially mid speed. Planing was easier and sitting on 4-5k was much more responsive, faster and held speed in swells. The boat was a pig to get on the plane with three boofheads in it when i first got it, had to actually get one person to walk up towards the bow. The hydrofoil fixed that and the prop refined it so i could trim the boat to suit where people were standing instead of vice-versa.

Punkin

quote:

Go to Top of Page

2up
Salmon

Australia
41 Posts

Member No: #10677

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  12:55:48 PM  Show Profile Send 2up a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Punkin,Fishernut,Trim and others who replied thank you. The prop is a stainless Mercury Marine Vengance on a 75HP Mercury Optimax with Hydraulic steer. Boat will be 90% fishing (river, lake, off shore) Newcastle area and 10% family. Has cheap bimni fitted to keep grandkids from sun. I think the problem is just the feel going from a 1980 Stessco Cutty Cab to a new Webster and the way they handle.
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  1:32:37 PM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mate, you're gunna love the difference when you get used to it. I reckon Peter Webster (no relation) described it best in his article in F$B called 'Walking the Cat'.
It's just something you get used to in ordinary conditions, with knowing the hull will slam on the trapped air and the flat bottom if you come down flat on both sponsons, the trick is to sorta zig-zag that tiny touch. Just enough to get one hull to kiss the water a second before the other one when you come down. Can do it with either hull in head on or 3/4 on conditions and it'll make the world of difference.
Soft riding little boat that punches out of it's class then.
Can't get it right every time, unfortunately....

Conering is tops, without the slide you get in some mono's, just best to back off a tiny bit to turn, the flat angle can unnerve people at first.

Give it some time to adjust and i reckon you'll never go back to a mono

Punkin

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Trim
Marlin

Australia
321 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  2:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Trim's Homepage Send Trim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2Up/ Punkin

Yeah I love my ***** too!!! Have nt had too much success Walkin the Cat as yet.
We ve been heading 25 k offshore on the West Coast (W.A.) and the boat just eats up the conditions when its time to come home. My 14 year old son just wants to skipper all the time- have to share with him as its a great bonding activity teaching him skills that he ll use for the rest of his life. I would love a Kevlacat 1900- thats my dream boat- and I ll get one in the end. Till then the Sharkcat is gonna do!!!

Go to Top of Page

Fed
Marlin

Australia
507 Posts

Member No: #1544

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  3:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fed's Homepage Send Fed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the idea with that offset motor, do they run lop sided if the motor is in the middle?
Surely adjustable trim tabs would be a far better answer.

Go to Top of Page

Jumpus GooDarus
Marlin

Australia
2002 Posts

Member No: #10622

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  3:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jumpus GooDarus's Homepage Send Jumpus GooDarus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed where did you pluck the offset motor bit from

Save The Fush, Shoot A Cat
Go to Top of Page

Fed
Marlin

Australia
507 Posts

Member No: #1544

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  3:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fed's Homepage Send Fed a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I saw the Punk's Webster had an offset motor, to the port side I believe, maybe I was wrong?

Go to Top of Page

polylover
Marlin

Australia
473 Posts

Member No: #11008

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  3:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit polylover's Homepage Send polylover a Private Message  Reply with Quote
perhaps he has been reading f@b and spoted the dominator 4000,thay run an off set motor.

stuff the tinneys its plastic all the way
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  4:25:28 PM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fed

I thought I saw the Punk's Webster had an offset motor, to the port side I believe, maybe I was wrong?
Nah, Websters patented a little goober that sits in the middle and sorta breaks the water up so the prop gets a clean bite. only one i know that has a single centre engine.

Markham Whalers used to have a 4m offset cat, was fibreglass though.
Ugly little critters, even compared to a webster.

Punkin

quote:

Go to Top of Page

grex
Sailfish

Australia
215 Posts

Member No: #5979

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  07:59:45 AM  Show Profile Send grex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Punkin On my 4.6 (4.9)I'm running a standard 15" Yammie prop on a 70hp 2s

It will rev out to 5300 - 5400 & cruise at 20mph on 4000 rpm.

Appreiciate yours is a smaller motor but would be interested to know
the comparrison with the Solas & Permitrim

2up In addition to the comments thus far on handling , I'v added a few bits & pieces to my Runabout 4 of which may be of interest.

If your batteries are on the shelf under the rear deck access is very difficult. I fitted an inspection hatch , same as that used on the live bait tank. Open the hatch , instant access.

The transom bungs on mine are all but useless due to their height. Fitted a small bung down low , next to the outboard pod now acheive approx 98% drainage.

Calibrated fuel dip stick

Does yours have the rear seat. Terrific when out cruising but uncomfortable if sitting & trying to fish from the back. I moved my seat foward 300mm. Now sit facing the back , very comfortable

Regards
Geoff
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000