SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 General Fishing
 Boats, Motors & Kayaks
 plans to build boat
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Fishernut
Marlin

Australia
630 Posts

Member No: #10548

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  05:43:47 AM  Show Profile Send Fishernut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Can you help me with obtaining plans to build my own ally boat

I have seen a couple of sites of guy's building there own boat and getting great staisfaction building and fishing out of their own boat

Planning on a 5-6m centercab boat with twin motors

As this is at planning stage any ideas would be great or if there is any body who could reply if they have built there own for ideas etc

Regards Fishernut

zook2001
Mackeral

54 Posts

Member No: #8571

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  6:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit zook2001's Homepage Send zook2001 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out www.seamedia.com.au I've looked into this and you would want to go over 6m in order to make it worthwhile in my opinion.

Regards Charlie
Go to Top of Page

Fishernut
Marlin

Australia
630 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  9:17:29 PM  Show Profile Send Fishernut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Zook

I'll have a look

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

scruff
Marlin

Australia
1476 Posts

Member No: #4670

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  10:21:32 PM  Show Profile Send scruff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And check out phil currans website, also boden. Just punch into google.
Scruff
Go to Top of Page

hazza
Yellowfin

Australia
153 Posts

Member No: #8442

Posted - 11 Oct 2006 :  10:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit hazza's Homepage Send hazza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talking about Boden Boat Plans,check the Express bridge
deck 9.7m .
I'm Still building it

Hazza (one day)
Go to Top of Page

Fishernut
Marlin

Australia
630 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  5:32:13 PM  Show Profile Send Fishernut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep that's graet
hows ya boat building going hassa
would ya say give it a go
Go to Top of Page

hazza
Yellowfin

Australia
153 Posts

Member No: #8442

Posted - 14 Oct 2006 :  11:43:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hazza's Homepage Send hazza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fishernut It's great to give it a go,very rewarding.
Can get stressful ,take a long time,cost more than you
thought.
My advise would be to buy a kit boat, easier than cutting
your own,I have cut the 35ft and the 17ft that I'm
currently building(hey I want to have the best of both
worlds)
Space is the issue,and a good welder is mandatory.
I would be more inclined to purchase a second hand boat,
strip it keep the good bits and throw the others.
You would get a better feel of working on boats. Than I
would build one from scratch.
Not saying that your not capable, boats are easy to build,
It makes you get on the water faster and can get some
extra money from selling it.
As Brian Poole Say's FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
If your still keen to build PM and you can come down to the workshop
and get some pointers.

Hazza
Go to Top of Page

Felix
Mackeral

Australia
68 Posts

Member No: #6325

Posted - 15 Oct 2006 :  10:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Felix's Homepage Send Felix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here is another kit boat maker..http://www.nomadmarinekits.com/assets/home.htm

also if allowed here is a thread from ausfish that is on a boat being done at the moment..http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1159493135

Go to Top of Page

Fishernut
Marlin

Australia
630 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  05:08:29 AM  Show Profile Send Fishernut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks felix

do you know anybody building a boat fron there? they look great ocean boats

17K for a 8m boat not bad
Go to Top of Page

Felix
Mackeral

Australia
68 Posts

Member No: #6325

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  11:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Felix's Homepage Send Felix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think the one in the thread that Stuart is building is one of theirs. even made a few adjustments to original plans for him, shoot him a PM i am sure he will give you info..

Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Team Daylate

Australia
7921 Posts

Member No: #323

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  11:54:41 AM  Show Profile Send Dingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a guy building one a year or so ago I think his name was fishaholic???
He was doing a real good job then I think he had a baby, boat must have been put on the back burner.

Found the links

here

here

and

here

Drive it till the wheels fall off

Cheers Paul

Edited by - Dingo on 17 Oct 2006 12:13:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fishernut
Marlin

Australia
630 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2006 :  6:36:07 PM  Show Profile Send Fishernut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks dingo

lot of work involved like to here from holic to see how it went and for imput

Felix

Cheers more info the better

Go to Top of Page

Jumpus GooDarus
Marlin

Australia
2002 Posts

Member No: #10622

Posted - 22 Oct 2006 :  7:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jumpus GooDarus's Homepage Send Jumpus GooDarus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just one Question ?

Have you got alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ cause you'll need them

I'm more than capable of building my own still got all my tools welders etc the ones that dont require 3 phase power miss my workshop with the guillo's & press's though have to use a mates these days & if they were any good I wouldn't have sold them to him years ago

I've just finished rebuilding my 23 ft plate boat & it didn't take long for $15,000 to disappear out of my bank account & that was B4 I got a Brain Explosion a couple of weeks ago to re-power went from 85hp 2-strokes up to a pair of 115 hp 4- strokes only had a few trips out with them & I can tell you the boat goes like a bat out of hell BUT the fuel economy is unbelievable.

Haven't taken a pic with the new motors yet but if your thinking of 4-strokes bear in mind your transom will need 2B 100 mm higher to accomidate them I had to weld in the extra hight B4 fitting them.

The old 2 strokes

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/5456/twolg4.jpg

Save The Fush, Shoot A Cat
Go to Top of Page

Fishernut
Marlin

Australia
630 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  04:54:57 AM  Show Profile Send Fishernut a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I here ya with the money issue, They do cost money to build/but theses things, but still it must be cheeper to build youe own. All the articles i have looket at you can save 30-50% if you build your own. That is why I'm planning to build my own.

why did you change engines to 4 stroke and not upgrade 2 stroke? and why did you have to raise the transom?

Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Team Daylate

Australia
7921 Posts

Member No: #323

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  08:15:48 AM  Show Profile Send Dingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have pictures of the boat before the re build?

Pretty interested where 15k can go on a rebuild, motors excluded of course

Drive it till the wheels fall off

Cheers Paul
Go to Top of Page

Jumpus GooDarus
Marlin

Australia
2002 Posts

Member No: #10622

Posted - 23 Oct 2006 :  09:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jumpus GooDarus's Homepage Send Jumpus GooDarus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont kid yourself if you think it will be cheaper more than likely it will cost you more than if you went out & purchased a new Hull.

You cant buy materials @ the price manufacturer's can + there's going to be bits & pieces tools etc which you'll need & have to burrow or buy.

I'm retired nowadays still own the properties but did have a full on Sheet Metal Shop & Joinery Shops in them worked with Stainless & built commercial refrigeration had just about every tool you could ever want & still have them but when I started working on the boat I still had to go out & buy more.

You're better off looking out for good 2nd rig than trying to build one

quote:
All the articles i have looket at you can save 30-50% if you build your own
quote:

I'll bet my knackers none of these articles have taken into consideration the full cost whereas I tell it as it is & unless you want to build one as a hobby then I suggest from the economics point of view go out & get a 2nd job cause the of time you'll be spending on the project in the end you'll be better off.

Why did I re-power ? The bloody cost of fuel that's why
Here's an example same day out same conditions etc a trip out to the Southern Canyons

2 strokes _ Ran out of fuel on front tank [ 150 litres ] seven miles from the heads

4 strokes _ Only put 100 litres in the same tank cause I wanted to gauge their economy & ran out 1 mile from the heads.

Thats a big difference esp if you consider no more 2 stroke oil you have to buy as well only prob is I have to keep looking @ the Tacho's just to make sure the motors are still runing used to the noisy 2 strokes.

Had to raise the transom cause yamaha & assume the other manufacture's are builg the motors to sit up higher out of the water a bit like the old extra long shafts used on shark cats reson being from what I was told is to keep them futher from the water & sucking up the water spray which makes good sense 2 me

Here's the 100 mm I had to raise

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/6310/transtw7.jpg

Dingo you wont see a great difference from B4 & after but take my word on it the $$$'s disappear probaly spent $1,000 just on fasteners & it's all the little bits which add up all the lighting is now LED etc etc etc stupid boat builders like to wrap floatation up in glad bags where it collects water pissed it all off & put new in but I fibreglassed it this time no more moisture & corrosion in the hull + I spray painted in there.

It was a nightmre cutting out the corrosion took me about a month should have just cut open the whole floor instead off cutting out openings

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9708/boat2pw1.jpg

B4 I started

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/897/aut03102lf.jpg

Save The Fush, Shoot A Cat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000