SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 LureChat
 Snapper on Plastics
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  05:06:09 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going over to the Nth Coast NSW in a couplea weeks with some mates. I'm very interested to know of some good plastics to buy for the big snapper that i hope will still be there.

A few hints on colours, brands and styles would go a long way.

Anyplace i can buy on line or by phone and save a few bucks would be handy too

Punkin

Cry me an ocean, you ugly rat of a thing...

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

you are a peanut that is passionate about what you can afford

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

I agree with the pelicans,

stacer474
Marlin

Australia
1143 Posts

Member No: #9584

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit stacer474's Homepage Send stacer474 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought 4 to 5 inches was the reasonable size. what do snapper eat? id say that would be a good place to start colour wise

I beat the internet..... The end guy is hard

A computer once beat me at a game of chess..... But it was no match for me at kickboxing
Go to Top of Page

hungrydog
Mackeral

Australia
95 Posts

Member No: #6481

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  08:11:24 AM  Show Profile Send hungrydog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G'day Punkin,
Where we are (Crowdy Head) there's been plenty of good snapper around just after the big seas subside.
The gun placcies in these parts are; in no particular order:
Berkley Gulp 4" Pogy Smelt
Berkley Gulp 4" Minnow Worm Watermelon
Berkley Powerbait 4" Minnow Smelt Scales
100mm Squidgy Fish in Neon
I reckon the 6" Gulp Squid would have to be a good one too, more of a drop bait than a workable lure though.

Cheers,

Craig
Go to Top of Page

wayne_groznik
Marlin

Australia
506 Posts

Member No: #2729

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  08:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit wayne_groznik's Homepage  Click to see wayne_groznik's MSN Messenger address Send wayne_groznik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you fish them? In what kind of depth have you been most sucessful and with how heavy a jig head... and what gear?

I never use plastics so keep it simple!!

I was just keen to chuck a few around in about 30-ish meters of water while we were anchored up and burlying... just cast out let it hit the bottom and do the lift up let it drop thing till it gets back to the boat!!

Wayne

Women want me, Fish FEAR ME!!!
Go to Top of Page

Matt
Toadfish

Australia
4788 Posts

Member No: #362

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Matt's MSN Messenger address Send Matt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has been some good articles in most of the national mags recently dealing with Snapper and Plastics Punks. The more popular plastics seem to center around Fish and Shad styles such as the Squidgie Fish, Storm Shads etc. But I would think anything in the 4" and above category would do the trick.
Chasing Snapper on plastics is something I really want to get into, especialyl now the Bream Tournament Season is over

Would love to know how you get along

Cheers
Windy

The Windy One
www.ausbream.com.au
Go to Top of Page

barra44
Whale Shark

Australia
3604 Posts

Member No: #619

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  09:42:32 AM  Show Profile Send barra44 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
punkin when are you going ive got something i want you to try .il post it up let me know if youve seen them before /.
Go to Top of Page

lost
Marlin

731 Posts

Member No: #9488

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  11:42:16 AM  Show Profile Send lost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any of the Gulps will get nailed by snapped. pogy/jerkshad are my favourite styles. What kind of ground will you be fishing over

Go fish
Go to Top of Page

wayne_groznik
Marlin

Australia
506 Posts

Member No: #2729

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit wayne_groznik's Homepage  Click to see wayne_groznik's MSN Messenger address Send wayne_groznik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reef / Gravel etc... for me anyways!

Women want me, Fish FEAR ME!!!
Go to Top of Page

lost
Marlin

731 Posts

Member No: #9488

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile Send lost a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the pogy's and jerkshads get whacked my the snaps on a slow retrieve worked a few metres off the bottom.
for sand/wormbeds there are a few other techniques that work well but more for the spawning season

Go fish
Go to Top of Page

NickoTheFisho
Marlin

Australia
1824 Posts

Member No: #1504

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  1:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit NickoTheFisho's Homepage Send NickoTheFisho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try the Gulp Eels, have heard some great reports from the guys down the coast about the results with them.
Go to Top of Page

addicted
Mackeral

Australia
50 Posts

Member No: #9009

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  7:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit addicted's Homepage Send addicted a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 5' jerkshad and the 5' atomic stickbait would be my fav for snapper. The only problem is findind a jighead with a big enough hook.
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:38:42 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, just wanna put a tray of likely contenders together before i go. Top stuff on the models
I'm the wrong bloke to ask Wayne, happy to share what i know, but it sure ain't much at this stage. Only had 1 go at it and was bein guided by an expert. When i figure some stuff out for myself (hopefully next month), i'll let ya know.

That'd be good Will, you got my addy?

I'll post a report Matt, trouble is i don't buy the mags any more, cept for the Saltwater Fishing 4 times a year and NSWFM a couple issues before a trip to the coast...anyone want to make an offer on 6 or 8 boxes full of fishing and boating mags (some from the 60's and 70's too)

Fishing broken reef and bommies mostly Lost allthough there is some extensive wireweed beds in 20 odd metres i'd be keen to try to fish

Punkin

while you boys are doing things tommorow i will be out on the beach targeting plastics with perch

Never respond to clinical insanity - chances are you cannot help, and you risk a life-long relationship
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Mick P
Marlin

Australia
2583 Posts

Member No: #286

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  12:14:07 PM  Show Profile Send Mick P a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never found reddies to be to fussy on the type of soft bait that is presented to them, I target them regularly around Sydney and although due to boat limitations they are normally smaller fish around the 40-60cm mark, they dont seem to have any preference for brand,style, colour etc.

Although I tend to prefer a soft stick bait where the whole body works rather then just a tail wagging. Anthing in the 4-6 inch mark as the other guys mentioned, will cover most reddies.
Go to Top of Page

northcoastin
Mackeral

Australia
60 Posts

Member No: #8468

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  6:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit northcoastin's Homepage Send northcoastin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reds are not fussy with plastics. However bigger plastics definately attract a better class of fish. I have caught them on 100mm and 125mm Squidgy Fish and Shads (black opal and garry glitter are favourites). Big worms like atomic 6 inch models and big gulps. I haven't used gulps for them but they would work for sure. Concentrate around edges of reef or broken reef in between 3-15m of water. Like what has already been said 4-6 inch are perfect.

My favourite technique is to anchor on a patch of fish, berley and then fish plastic through the trail. Often you will catch the smaller reds first and the bigger fellows later on. Snapper love hitting plastics on the drop and well off the bottom even on the surface if berleyed up well.

I fish for them around Nambucca and the previuosly mentioned technique works a charm. Early morn or late arvo is best
Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Team Daylate

Australia
7921 Posts

Member No: #323

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  7:27:28 PM  Show Profile Send Dingo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Punk theres a DVD coming out soon with Michael Guest in it, hes a local gun here who reguarly fishes this way and more of what I am interested in, deep deep water jigging, kings on the shelf etc.

Speaking to him at the ramp he recons it will be out real soon, like days, I will let you know if its worth getting when I get it

Having a dig for kings tommorow with the fancy knife jigs and some softplastics, seems strange having the hook near the front but will see

Drive it till the wheels fall off

Cheers Paul
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  07:13:49 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeez, thanks guys.

Interested in your method too, Northcoastin, will have ta give that a try...reckon that'd have ta work Good to know Mick will start puttin some together now (where's a good place to buy em online?).

Very interested in that Canis Familiaris, a DVD is what i reckon i need for that bit of instruction

Punkin

quote:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000