SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 General Fishing
 Boats, Motors & Kayaks
 SOFTEST RIDING HULL
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Full Noise
Pilchard

Australia
1 Posts

Member No: #9281

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Full Noise's Homepage Send Full Noise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G'Day, am updating from a 6.5m Ali Centre Cab to something with a much softer ride. Live in Perth WA and fish 30 to 40 kms off shore looking for softest riding hull. Are Cats as good as they say? And which is the best of the Cats? Many people have come over WA to buy a Leisure Cat 7m Game Fisher. ???? Thanks for any feedback.

topend
Sailfish

Australia
280 Posts

Member No: #5794

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  09:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit topend's Homepage Send topend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I considered a cat but ended up with a Haines Hunter so I only had one engine to fuel and service. With all the research I did the Noosacat seemed to have the best reputation for ride quality. Other cats like Kevlarcat & Markham Dominators also rated well.

Probably the best riding mono hull would be a Boston Whaler Outrage but very expensive and over the 2.5m towing width legal limit. Others to consider would be Haines Hunter, Cruisecraft and Noble Super Vee.

Topend
Go to Top of Page

Grimace
4banger

Australia
3397 Posts

Member No: #55

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  02:25:29 AM  Show Profile Send Grimace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The softest riding monohull that is affordable is the venerable
Haines Hunter 773!!!
Its a big hull that rides like a Cadillac.
Go to Top of Page

redemperor
Pilchard

Australia
3 Posts

Member No: #9302

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  03:12:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit redemperor's Homepage Send redemperor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a 22ft ali and are now having a 24ft Gavin Mair Airider tri hull being built. They are built using 5mm plate all round, fuel tanks are biult to survey as standard etc. They have a 2.7m beam but you just get an annual permit for this. You can run one with twins or a single engine. They turn like a mono and dont have that lean like a cat does when cornering or going down the face of a wave. A few abolone divers down south and in SA swear buy them. Worth a look if your spending that sort of money. Good luck

Made from 100% water
Go to Top of Page

Hyka
Pilchard

Australia
7 Posts

Member No: #9508

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  01:58:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hyka's Homepage Send Hyka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys would use know where i could find any of of the old moulds hulls of the markham whalers
Go to Top of Page

Prostrike
Salmon

Australia
42 Posts

Member No: #9105

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  06:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prostrike's Homepage Send Prostrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite hulls are the Haines Hunter 680 Patriot in either twin or single rig. Same boat as ET's and the 650 Classic in twin or single,Very similar hull shapes and same laminate schedule. Or for something maxi trailable the 8m Patriot twin rig is a sweet ride. We have 3 of these in build at the moment for customers coming down from 35ft Black Watch and Riviera's looking for maxi trailable game boats.

Go to Top of Page

topend
Sailfish

Australia
280 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  06:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit topend's Homepage Send topend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Prostrike,

If you had photos of a Patriot being built and maybe a brief discription on how they are built I would be interested in see it here.

Your can see my Patriot 680 here http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30327&SearchTerms=patriot

Cheers,
Topend

Edited by - topend on 31 Jan 2006 06:41:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Prostrike
Salmon

Australia
42 Posts

Member No: #9105

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  09:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prostrike's Homepage Send Prostrike a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will post some pics of a 680 Patriot in build with a bit of an explanation of the process over the next few days.

Todd

Go to Top of Page

Stompy
Marlin

Australia
728 Posts

Member No: #642

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  11:11:40 AM  Show Profile Send Stompy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Full noise,

I have a cat, and love it, however if you are looking for softest riding hull as your number 1 thing, then a alloy cat is probably a mile off monos like the Haines ect.

Having said that, couldn't help myself, they are a great fishing platform, can punch through the rough stuff along with the piece of mind twin outboards give you 30 to 40kms off shore. Quite economical as well.

Regards
Go to Top of Page

dgasmier
Yellowfin

Australia
137 Posts

Member No: #423

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  3:08:50 PM  Show Profile Send dgasmier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fullnoise,

As you are in WA, why don't you talk to Fremantle Volunteer Sea Rescue, or Cockburn Volunteer Sea Rescue. They both have Liesure cats.

Other WA boats that are soft riding are Leeder, and supposedly North Shore - see last Sunday's Sunday Times for a write up.

If you stay local you can customise better, and you can trial as well.

One boat that supposedly does well here is the Carribean 2400 and there may be a trial boat available.

Regards,

David Gasmier
Go to Top of Page

Hyka
Pilchard

Australia
7 Posts

Member No: #9508

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  4:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hyka's Homepage Send Hyka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys wats a cheap afordable cat thats safe rides well
Go to Top of Page

Billistick
Pilchard

Australia
2 Posts

Member No: #11876

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  4:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Billistick's Homepage  Send Billistick an ICQ Message  Click to see Billistick's MSN Messenger address Send Billistick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone give me some more info on the Haines Hunter 773L as I have just purchased a 1990 model and
Go to Top of Page

Billistick
Pilchard

Australia
2 Posts

Member No: #11876

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  4:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Billistick's Homepage  Send Billistick an ICQ Message  Click to see Billistick's MSN Messenger address Send Billistick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anyone give me some more info on the Haines Hunter 773L as I have just purchased a 1990 model and I can't seem to find much info about them at all.
Were they a flop from the Formula 233? what are the specs does anyone know?
Thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Noelm
Marlin

1000 Posts

Member No: #10531

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  10:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Noelm's Homepage Send Noelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if it is straight out softest ride, then anyone who says anything other than a Cat has never been in one, all the Haines models included! been in em all and they all have pros and cons, but nothing compares to a cat ride, end of story!
Go to Top of Page

topend
Sailfish

Australia
280 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  05:01:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit topend's Homepage Send topend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Noelm,

I mostly agree with you but there are conditions where the cat doesn't fair so well like a head sea in windy conditions (which we get a lot of here) that is producing a steep chop.

In these conditions my Haines Hunter will get us home without breaking our backs. We can remain in our seats at all times. A cat would see us tacking our way home like a sail boat.

It is for this reason I steer clear of a cat when in the market for a new boat. If I lived somewhere that didn't get these conditions I would love to own a cat and enjoy the great ride they can offer and their stability at rest.

Topend.
Go to Top of Page

Hellraiser
Marlin

Australia
428 Posts

Member No: #580

Posted - 11 Aug 2007 :  5:28:57 PM  Show Profile Send Hellraiser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My 23 Edencraft is the softest riding boat out there in all condition's

Regards Chop
quote:
Originally posted by Full Noise

G'Day, am updating from a 6.5m Ali Centre Cab to something with a much softer ride. Live in Perth WA and fish 30 to 40 kms off shore looking for softest riding hull. Are Cats as good as they say? And which is the best of the Cats? Many people have come over WA to buy a Leisure Cat 7m Game Fisher. ???? Thanks for any feedback.

Insert Image:

62.6 KB

Love Life

Edited by - Hellraiser on 12 Aug 2007 5:55:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000