SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 General Fishing
 Boats, Motors & Kayaks
 Removing Old Paint Work from Aluminium boat
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

matth
Salmon

49 Posts

Member No: #3399

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  1:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit matth's Homepage Send matth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are some of the methods for removing old paintwork off an Aluminium boat. I have just a small - approx 3m - boat and the paintwork is peeling. This site had given me some motivation to repaint the boat. I have seen plenty of information in past posts to this forums of different paints and painting techniques.

What would be some of the methods and what are the tools required to remove the paint work?

puddles
Marlin

1898 Posts

Member No: #480

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  5:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddles's Homepage Send puddles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Matth,Go to search sportsfish insert and tick forums then print in Boat Painting and read all the posts on the subject, after you read it you will be a expert on it. Cheers RAY

Go to Top of Page

Aero
Blue Marlin

Australia
575 Posts

Member No: #3758

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  6:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aero's Homepage Send Aero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've used a heat gun, and a scraper, to get paint off alloy, but not sure about getting it off a boat, could take some time.. possibly years

Chris

Go to Top of Page

_AL_
Marlin

Australia
376 Posts

Member No: #2616

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  7:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit _AL_'s Homepage Send _AL_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the paint is flaking badly you may well be able to get it off with compressed air, Just watch your eyes.
If not, get some paint stripper, not the cheap kmart stuff, get Auto grade stripper from a paint supplier.
Again, watch your eyes & skin, propper paint stripper burns, the fumes can be nasty too so do it in a well ventilated area.
Let me know if you need a step by step runthrough.

Al

Go to Top of Page

Russ
Marlin

Australia
376 Posts

Member No: #795

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  10:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russ's Homepage Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt H Do your self a favour, if it is the whole boat either get it sand or grit blasted for a perfect paint surface.

Russ

I am the walrus
Go to Top of Page

puddles
Marlin

1898 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  11:26:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddles's Homepage Send puddles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Matth, Be very careful if you use Stripper as some are not alloy freindly, some will eat into the metal. And if you Sand blast it or with Grit it can Pit the metal. Air blasting or High pressure water blaster might do it if it is peeling, but do as I said in the above post and do a search and read them all.

Cheers RAY

Go to Top of Page

matth
Salmon

49 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  12:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit matth's Homepage Send matth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Puddles - I did the search and this is all the revelant info that were in the posts:

1)Strip old paint off with paintstripper or bloody hard elbow work.
2)... sand back existing paint and apply an even coat of 'Altra-Prime 504' primer.
3)... be rubbed back and the area cleaned properly to get rid of any salt and/or impurities build up, then etch prime the area and repaint the sanded back area
4)You can buy an open fibre disk (bit like a lufer (sp))that fits grinders and makes short work of paint on alloy also polishes SS and alloy like crazy.

So when people mention sand back and "bloody hard elbow work" - I assume they refering to sanding with Wet & Dry by hand . Is this correct?

What about this idea of using a grinder with an open fibre disk - would that wreck the aluminium - that might save me some time?

Al - approx 50% of the paint is flaking - but that still leave alot of paint.

Cheers,
Matt H.

Go to Top of Page

NQCairns
Sailfish

Australia
286 Posts

Member No: #3333

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  01:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit NQCairns's Homepage Send NQCairns a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Just a bit about those open fibre disks they are just the ants pants for getting rid of paint of metal, if kept in one spot too long they will mirror shine the area all the way through though, if your aim is to only remove the paint you will not damage the aluminium but you might have to rough the hull up a bit before painting to get good grip. You could always shine it up to a mirror then clear laquor it! Nq.
Ps. If you use the stripper let me know how you went, I have a boat that needs doing and striper sounds the easiest method.

Never enough time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over!

Go to Top of Page

puddles
Marlin

1898 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  08:35:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit puddles's Homepage Send puddles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Matth, Read the PM I sent you.

Cheers RAY

Go to Top of Page

_AL_
Marlin

Australia
376 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  1:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit _AL_'s Homepage Send _AL_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Using the grinder with an open fibre wheel (called 3m clean & strip from memory but I'm not 100% on that, they look like a black spiderweb of melted plastic) will get the paint off but be carefull, they do tend to explode if you spin them too fast or hit something sharp & they will make metal VERY hot if you sand in one spot for too long.

As for rubbing, bugger doing the lot by hand, use an electric sander (orbit or random orbit, NOT a belt sander) on all of the flat bits.
Start around 150 grit & go up to say 400 all over to finish the aluminium off.

Re the stripper eating Aluminium, We always stripped aluminium as opposed to sanding paint off to aviod warps from heat on thin panels & I never once had a problem, Just wash the entire area with general purpose paint thinners afterwards to kill any stripper.
We mainly used Wattle auto stripper & sometimes Septone.
Do check to make sure the stripper is alloy friendly tho as Puddles must have seem problems to be warning you of it, better safe than sorry.

Al

Go to Top of Page

puddles
Marlin

1898 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit puddles's Homepage Send puddles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Al, Boat alloy is not the same as normal alloy,and you can not put the same paint on it as well.You have to paint with a certain type of paint specialy for marine alloy,same as strippers it can effect marine alloy and not normal alloy.

Cheers RAY

Go to Top of Page

PE
Qld Lung Fish

1571 Posts

Member No: #440

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  3:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit PE's Homepage Send PE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matth - I just read an Ad in Afloat magazine for a product from Sea2sky Innovations. I rang them & they have a product SPC202 thats perfect for tinnies. Paint it on & either blast or scrape it off. Give them a call on 9620 6866 if interested .

Pedro the Fisherman
><((((>`...><((((>
`...><((((>.
Go to Top of Page

_AL_
Marlin

Australia
376 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  5:59:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit _AL_'s Homepage Send _AL_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by puddles:
Hi Al, Boat alloy is not the same as normal alloy,and you can not put the same paint on it as well.You have to paint with a certain type of paint specialy for marine alloy,same as strippers it can effect marine alloy and not normal alloy.

Cheers RAY

There ya go, You learn something new every day.

Al

Go to Top of Page

matth
Salmon

49 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  12:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit matth's Homepage Send matth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for your help guys.

Matt H.

Go to Top of Page

the Cast-Away
Mackeral

Australia
74 Posts

Member No: #3939

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  7:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit the Cast-Away's Homepage Send the Cast-Away a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matth,

Try using MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone)
Sometimes called Butinone Reagent.
Apply and Rub with Scotchbrite.
Use Good quality ubber Gloves and use in a well ventilated area.Talk to your paint dealer about safety precautions. Like anything it is not a hazard if you do it right.

This is what we used to strip paint from Aircraft.

You could buy a small (Say 1 lt) tin and try it to see how effective it is before going the whole hog

When I go Fishing
I shoulda been there yesterday
Go to Top of Page

Scubapro
Marlin

Australia
470 Posts

Member No: #1099

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  08:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scubapro's Homepage Send Scubapro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matth,

I went through this process about 7 years ago & by the time you buy all the stuff you need it will cost a fair bit & then not to mention the labour involved.

Do yourself a favour & take it to a sandblaster. It only cost me $70-00 & they even got into all the nooks & crannies that you will have difficulty in getting to.

Scubapro

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000