Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'id' at row 1
     SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 FishChat (general)
 Pro's want to fish Botany Bay !
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SALT
Salmon

Australia
26 Posts

Member No: #1200

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  5:31:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit SALT's Homepage Send SALT a Private Message
Thought it must be April 1st this morning when I read in the Tele, the pro's who are banned from Sydney Harbour are requesting to fish Botany Bay while the Harbour Ban is in force.
These guys have to be joking
As a recreational fisher and licence holder who regularly fishes Botany Bay I cannot believe having spent MY money buying out licences, re-stocking Jewfish etc Fisheries would even contemplate this request.
I'm sorry the pro's have lost their way of making a living but I'm sure they will be compensated in the short term and long term they will have to find a new way of making a quid just like everyone else who's job disapears when times change !
Here's hoping the Minister gives this proposal the ass before he's looking for a new job too.
SALT

kikila
Marlin

Australia
718 Posts

Member No: #4474

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  7:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit kikila's Homepage Send kikila a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SALT

Thought it must be April 1st this morning when I read in the Tele, the pro's who are banned from Sydney Harbour are requesting to fish Botany Bay while the Harbour Ban is in force.
These guys have to be joking
As a recreational fisher and licence holder who regularly fishes Botany Bay I cannot believe having spent MY money buying out licences, re-stocking Jewfish etc Fisheries would even contemplate this request.
I'm sorry the pro's have lost their way of making a living but I'm sure they will be compensated in the short term and long term they will have to find a new way of making a quid just like everyone else who's job disapears when times change !
Here's hoping the Minister gives this proposal the ass before he's looking for a new job too.
SALT

Too bloody right

Unforeseen occurrence befalls us all-ecclesiastes 9:11 is Gods way of saying shit happens
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Kingfish
Sailfish

Australia
211 Posts

Member No: #7538

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  8:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr_Kingfish's Homepage Send Mr_Kingfish a Private Message
im totally with u too mate damm pro's...
Go to Top of Page

Redhead
Marlin

Australia
597 Posts

Member No: #575

Posted - 30 Jan 2006 :  9:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Redhead's Homepage Send Redhead a Private Message
Scumbags! They've been raping the bay for too long. Time these serial rapists got into fish farming!
Go to Top of Page

grex
Sailfish

Australia
215 Posts

Member No: #5979

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  09:50:40 AM  Show Profile Send grex a Private Message
I agree with you guy's but I guess the question is did the request actually occur or is it just creative journalism or speculation

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

Stompy
Marlin

Australia
728 Posts

Member No: #642

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  11:04:13 AM  Show Profile Send Stompy a Private Message
Guys,

From what I have read the pros what back into Botany Bay whilst the Harbour is off limits, here is a quote from the paper Commercial operators representative Mark Forrester said he was "very, very serious", about the proposal to reopen Botany Bay to professional fishermen which will be put to government officials today.

This is the same Govt that used our fees to pay professional fisherman to buy out thier licenses. We can only hope that they won't about face and allow them back in, if there is any sign that it might happen I am sure as a group rec fisho's and the bodies that represent them will come out in numbers. I look forward to hearing any feedback from anyone in the know from the outcome of this meeting.

I also read a very interesting article about major cities in the US where commercial fishing has been banned from inshore grounds/ Bays and the massive recovery fish stock have made, whilst all the time remaining open to rec fishos.

This is how we help maintain fish stocks, keeping the areas where fish breed, grow and congregate in numbers free from nets, NOT the misguided sprawl of Marine parks all up and down the coast.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

Neil
SportsFish

Australia
3823 Posts

Member No: #1

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  11:31:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message
Stompy,

Whilst "never' is one of those words in political speak that tends to mean something else these days, allowing commercial activities in an established RFA or removing an existing RFA status, would be political suicide for not only the Minister but the incumbent Government.

Firstly it would cost the Government at least $3 million in repayments to the Recreational fishing License fund as this is the amount spent by recs to buyout the Botany Bay commercial boys (give or take) on top of the cost of buying out the commercial fisho's in the Harbour.

Second there is too much information and data to show that with the removal of the pros out of the bay that fish stocks are recovering.

To me, it is just a bit of grand standing by the pros to secure their case for $$ in a buy-out.

I expect that in the next few days Cabinet will meet to approve funding for the buy out of the licenses in Sydney Harbour. Although I also hear that one Michael Costa doesn't want to pay a cent. The same minister that did such a great job on Police and transport portfolio's he was once in charge of!

Given the Ministers statement last night that the ban on the Harbour is now indefinite, I expect that we have seen the last of Commercial fishing in the Harbour.

I also believe that ANY attempt to re-open a RFA would be met with such protest that any government would be ill advised to even consider it.

Neil.

Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Team Daylate

Australia
7922 Posts

Member No: #323

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  11:49:51 AM  Show Profile Send Dingo a Private Message
I wouldnt mind betting if they tested the fish in Botany Bay they would come up with a similar result.

No matter what we as rec fisherman think of commercial fishers they still must be looked after. They have a business just like many of us do, its a differant thing if the fish stocks were so low it couldnt support them that would be stiff titties but this has come about from circumstances beyond their control.

There is no doubt they will need to be bought out the question is where does the money come from?

If the gov buys them out they can also re issue licences at a later date.
If the recs buy them out what are we buying? a polluted swamp thats not really fit for a RFA.

The best solution would be a partnership with the recs and the gov but gee I hope they dont pay ridiculous money like they did with the other licence buyouts

Drive it till the wheels fall off

Cheers Paul
Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Team Daylate

Australia
7922 Posts

Member No: #323

Posted - 31 Jan 2006 :  11:54:59 AM  Show Profile Send Dingo a Private Message
Ps
This appears to be a good way to clear out most of the estuary commercial guys, test the fish in each waterway and the results will probably suprise everybody.

I read in the local paper that the oyster farmers in tilligary creek are effected by human effluent and are unfit for human consumption, bet the bream are similar.

If the recs had good politcal bodies with the balls to fund the tests and push the results we could get government funded buy outs

Drive it till the wheels fall off

Cheers Paul
Go to Top of Page

Stompy
Marlin

Australia
728 Posts

Member No: #642

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  09:08:34 AM  Show Profile Send Stompy a Private Message
Neil,

I hope your right, but trust and Govt go together very uneasy, although I think you hit the nail on the head with the case for compensation.

Dingo,

I mentioned something similar in regards to most systems in the "Sydney Harbour Fishing Ban" post.

Some of the mid north and far north coast system would have massive issues, I think one of Coffs Harbour creeks is listed as the most polluted in NSW. The Agricultutral run off in times of heavy rain would impact greatly also. It was only a couple of years ago there was a massive fish kill at South West Rocks.

I reakon we use the license fees to fund research into testing these waterways and bet the results will be similar.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

crow08
Yellowfin

Australia
102 Posts

Member No: #9079

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  11:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit crow08's Homepage  Click to see crow08's MSN Messenger address Send crow08 a Private Message
So correct me if i'm wrong ( and have been once b4 - but only once,lol)

If they ban commercial fishing in the harbour, and Botany is already out does this mean that they will head to the already hard to fish Hawkesbury?

Please excuse me for any nievety on this subject

Cheers
Roy

Maybe for once, someone will call me Sir without adding, "Youre making a scene".
Go to Top of Page

Gibbo_82
Marlin

Australia
319 Posts

Member No: #6209

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  4:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gibbo_82's Homepage Send Gibbo_82 a Private Message
Any com fisherman has to be a naive imbicile to not have realised that it was not going to last for ever, if they hadnt ivested their millions from the 80's and diminishing 90's, its their own fault.

And as for the edibility, the fish didn't become un-edible in one night, the standards were raised in one night, the pro's should be attacking the government bodies who conduct the tests and not cutting this off before it occured!

Thats the end of my rant.

Thank you and good night.

Kingies are King
Go to Top of Page

grex
Sailfish

Australia
215 Posts

Member No: #5979

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  11:10:05 AM  Show Profile Send grex a Private Message
It was comforting to hear on the radio yesterday ( Hi Tide) that at meetings during the week the goverement has dismissed the pro request to fish B.B.

There were several reasons , some mentioned above but the main 2 being the goverment would need to pay back to the Rec Fishing Trust $4 million (cost to buy out the pro's origionally)+ under new laws , any area opened to pro fishing be it BB or any where else requires an Envioremental Study to be conducted.

This takes approx 12 months & in this case would cost a further $1 million.

The general feeling is , like the buy out of the long liners by the Federal Gov. , there is insufficient income from trawling the harbor so a package from the goverement is a better deal.

One other comment is that consideration is being given to reopen trawling for prawns & squid but for bait only

Geoff
Go to Top of Page

fishman7
Yellowfin

Australia
136 Posts

Member No: #8641

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  8:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishman7's Homepage Send fishman7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Redhead

Scumbags! They've been raping the bay for too long. Time these serial rapists got into fish farming!

redhead were do you get off calling these poeple scrumbags? where do you think they get the fish for farming from? the ocean!we are talking about poeple that have now lost their living. it really pisses me off when poeple like you have a cheap shot at them.
Instead hiding in a forum like this, why dont you grow some testicular fortitude and go say it to them and their families faces.

Idiot!

danny
Go to Top of Page

Gibbo_82
Marlin

Australia
319 Posts

Member No: #6209

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gibbo_82's Homepage Send Gibbo_82 a Private Message
yeah scumbag's is harsh, try using 'Naive idiots' as a label!

Kingies are King
Go to Top of Page

Casey
Sailfish

Australia
218 Posts

Member No: #9542

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  11:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Casey's Homepage Send Casey a Private Message
Hi All
I'm Casey and new to this forum.
This post about pro fishing bought back memories of my days living on the shores of Botany Bay. I grew up near the Botany Bay hotel which is at the north easten end of the bay. Back in the 50's early 60's there were a lot of pro fishers in the bay, usually using 18' clinker built open craft and running nets off the back. This was of course long before the container wharf and the road around the shore to service it.
The pro's would run the nets out into the bay and back onto the beach, there would be maybe a half a dozen at a time along the beach.
All the families in the area would pull the nets and each would get a feed of fish and blue swimmers for helping out, this included the kids and all. They would run the nets out several times, each time moving along the beach. There was at this time an abundance of fish of all types, the pro's could make a living and the families could get enough fish for the whole family for a few days. I don't know how the fishing in BB is like now as I moved a long time ago, but back then the bay had plenty for everyone.
Just thought I would share this with you all, apologies if it doesn't fit the original post.

Casey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000