Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'id' at row 1
     SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 FishChat (general)
 Fishing Tips Database request.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

spinning_mad1
Yellowfin

Australia
112 Posts

Member No: #6093

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  3:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit spinning_mad1's Homepage Send spinning_mad1 a Private Message
the most important tip i could give anyone is;

DONT FORGET TO HAVE FUN

fishings not my hobby,its my religon
Go to Top of Page

Darren
Marlin

Australia
513 Posts

Member No: #180

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  5:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darren's Homepage Send Darren a Private Message
If you need to get some extra casting distance with light freshwater baits you can use an Alka Seltzer or other disolvable tablet.

Just drill a hole through a couple of the tablets and then thread them on the line before you tie on your hooks.

You can also tie a weight to the tablet - I use metal washers - for even more casting distance.

Just make sure you keep the tablets dry before you want to use them - its pretty easy to end up with a container full of bubbles

Cheers,

Darren

Edited by - Darren on 17 Jan 2005 09:33:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

colin449
Yellowfin

Australia
154 Posts

Member No: #6446

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  01:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit colin449's Homepage Send colin449 a Private Message
Smll cheapo photo albums amke good rig storage for small rigs.

Go to Top of Page

colin449
Yellowfin

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit colin449's Homepage Send colin449 a Private Message
I find that line behaves itself better when wet.

I get it wet before I try some serious stuff.

Go to Top of Page

cmunro
Mackeral

Australia
82 Posts

Member No: #6196

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  11:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit cmunro's Homepage Send cmunro a Private Message
Also on the topic of extra distance, I have a sewing needle about 2mtres about SP, Prawn, Pippie, pillie tail. Needle can be run of a paternoster rig if neccessary. I usually thread the needle through a sugar cube - or other types of berley balls. They dissolve very quickly and you get great distance and are cheap as chips

Go to Top of Page

colin449
Yellowfin

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  11:00:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit colin449's Homepage Send colin449 a Private Message
When tying knots on mono - after I hsve trimmed the tag I put it into a flame to make it blob at the end. If the knot slips it reduces the risk of the tag pulling through.

Go to Top of Page

ponsey
Yellowfin

Australia
119 Posts

Member No: #7106

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  7:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit ponsey's Homepage Send ponsey a Private Message
Darren,
If you want a disolving casting weight try useing sugar lumps (cubes) much cheaper than Alka-Seltsa, and a bit heavier to.

my tip,
When useing a two piece rod especially one with metal feralls(joiners) rub the male end against your nose or on your forhead your natural body oil will make the join come apart a lot easier when you have finished fishing
Ponsey.

Edited by - ponsey on 23 Jan 2005 7:53:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

colin449
Yellowfin

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  5:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit colin449's Homepage Send colin449 a Private Message
If you are casting mulies, pillies etc cut the tail off

1. Stops your bait spinning and possiibly stuffing up in the air

2. Self-burleys as the fishes oooil, blood etc seeps oout of cut or torn end.

Go to Top of Page

pukunui
Marlin

Australia
1113 Posts

Member No: #7138

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  11:50:28 AM  Show Profile Send pukunui a Private Message
When scaling fish to avoid flying scales do it under water simple and works well.
cheers

Go to Top of Page

colin449
Yellowfin

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  12:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit colin449's Homepage Send colin449 a Private Message
To stopp hooks rusting soak in olive oil - fish dont mind at all. Mineral oil will prob put fish off and is not exactly environmentally friendly.

To clean rust off hooks - soak evernight in vinegar.

Go to Top of Page

cap
Marlin

Australia
1161 Posts

Member No: #409

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  07:45:40 AM  Show Profile Send cap a Private Message
For those that dont mind a feed of fish ocassionaly

the best fish cleaning table you can have at home is an old ironing board

just rip the cover and lining off it
the metal grid of the board makes cleaning fish a breeze as they dont slide around and you can set it any height

afterwards just a quick hose down of the board and your done

and the fact yuou've done it outside your missus wont whinge about scales being left in the sink

cap

Go to Top of Page

colin449
Yellowfin

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  12:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit colin449's Homepage Send colin449 a Private Message
To remove fishy and other nasty smells. Wash with a solution of bicarbonate of sooda or use a wet cloth dabbed in bicarb.

A good sit in the sunlight will allso help stop stuff like coolers stinkin. The UV kills the bacteria i AM TOLD. Anyways it wirks for me

Go to Top of Page

pukunui
Marlin

Australia
1113 Posts

Member No: #7138

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  11:36:55 PM  Show Profile Send pukunui a Private Message
Another one with the smell on your hands is to wash them under the cold tap not the hot, hot water causes the pours in your skin to open letting in the smell dont know if that s the real reason but it works and if you still cant get the smell away use tooth paste
if that doesnt work just go fishing again

======
Go to Top of Page

colin449
Yellowfin

Australia
154 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  01:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit colin449's Homepage Send colin449 a Private Message
Figure out how much a fish you are going after is worth and hoow much a new hook to replace the one you will catch it on would cost.

If the fish is not worth the hook. Stay at home and count your money.

A decent fish is worth a decent hook.

Go to Top of Page

Mukman
Marlin

Australia
925 Posts

Member No: #2998

Posted - 07 Feb 2005 :  5:42:42 PM  Show Profile Send Mukman a Private Message
Use the lightest line you think you can get away with.

You will usually do alot better if you can use a light line. Once you have adjusted your drag properly, alot of fish can be taken on very light line with a bit of patience & it also makes it more fun.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000