Incorrect integer value: '' for column 'id' at row 1
     SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 FishChat (general)
 Poddy mullet trap
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ponsey
Yellowfin

Australia
119 Posts

Member No: #7106

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  7:42:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ponsey's Homepage Send ponsey a Private Message
Gday Mick and Paul,
Paul the poddy's are in the tank waiting for my next trip to the lake, went in the harbour sat evening no result.

Mick just loosen the cap and the air comes out ok must get a siev, as for microwaving the bread all I ended up with was a hot wet glug must be doing it wrong
Ponsey.

Go to Top of Page

Dingo
Team Daylate

Australia
7922 Posts

Member No: #323

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  7:53:36 PM  Show Profile Send Dingo a Private Message
A tip with bread for burley

Stick it out on the lawn on a really hot day and allow it to dry out completely. Doing this allows you to store it in a dry place in an onion bag without mould and it breaks up real easy when you are using it, absorbs the water and turns mushy faster too

Paul

Go to Top of Page

mick ward
Marlin

Australia
2202 Posts

Member No: #564

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  03:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit mick ward's Homepage Send mick ward a Private Message
G`day Fellas ,
Hey Ponsey , sorry Mate , I should have told you to toast it slightly Ist if its fresh Bread .
Dings bread wouldn`t last 5 seconds on my lawn mate , theres 3 bloody blue tounges , 3000 indian Minas , 8 kooka`s , 25 magpies , and 5 very testy possums.
Fellas , I cant really explain why Microwaving the bread is the secret to poddy catching , I too thought It was a leg pull at first , untill I put it to the test.
Then , after consistently catching 5 times as many poddies as others , I became convinced , and now use it exclusively .
Don`t mind sharing the secret either , and also understand the quizical looks on the faces of those who ask , to microwave the bread after a light toasting if fresh .
Mick.

I`LL BE BAAAACK....!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Guppy
Marlin

Australia
425 Posts

Member No: #7471

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  4:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guppy's Homepage Send Guppy a Private Message
Ponsey, Mullet traps are 25% off at Kmart this week. Dont know how good they are though, clear cylinder with a funnel end. Would be worth a try if they are only a few dollars. (I know you are loaded anyway so money is no object)

Go to Top of Page

Backlash
Marlin

363 Posts

Member No: #3157

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  12:15:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Backlash's Homepage Send Backlash a Private Message
Hi Ponsey,
I made a trap out of the clear vegetable crisper
found at the bottom of old fridges.Put flyscreen
over the top and drill two small holes, ie15mm in
either end and stuff some bread in it.Tie a length
of rope to it and stake it near the trap so you can
find it.You would be surprised how many poddy mullet
can fit inside one of these.
Steve

Go to Top of Page

Rossco
Marlin

Australia
328 Posts

Member No: #3080

Posted - 02 Nov 2004 :  8:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rossco's Homepage Send Rossco a Private Message
Another good method is to use the clear tubular plastic cover that you see over fluro's in worksites and safety lights. A good work safety supplier usually has them. I have seen them to suit both the 2 and 4 ft fluro's. No mess, no breaky breaky. They work on the same principal as the fluro tubes themselves. Just block off one end with a bit of cut up thong or a yabby pump washer. Cheers Rossco

Rossco
Go to Top of Page

mick ward
Marlin

Australia
2202 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2004 :  10:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit mick ward's Homepage Send mick ward a Private Message
G`day Fellas ,
Hey Roscie , a couple of questions mate , as I`ve not been in a factory for 40 odd years , i`m not quite sure of the tube you describe.
Are they Cylindrical ? , or gutter shaped .
If cylindrical , then how do you prevent it continuously rolling over all the time ? .
If its gutter shaped , what do you use to seal the open end ??.
Mick

I`LL BE BAAAACK....!!!!

Go to Top of Page

ponsey
Yellowfin

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2004 :  10:27:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit ponsey's Homepage Send ponsey a Private Message
Rosco,/Mick.
The info keeps coming in thanks to everone who replied, Now I have to figure out to keep the water clean, and what besides bread do mullet eat I crushed up some old frozen nippers thay ate them but the water is now cloudy,I keep changing the filter, I will change the water tomorrow, such is life.
Ponsey.

Go to Top of Page

punkin
Yakka

Australia
8582 Posts

Member No: #1109

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  05:01:12 AM  Show Profile Send punkin a Private Message
feed em fish food, Ponsey. it'll be the best way to keep your tank clean. Either flakes or you could try the frozen blood worms from the Pet Shop.

Punkin

Note of use for the interview and the verification of the abeyances and other fixings.
(Contained in instructions on $2 water pistol)
Go to Top of Page

Rossco
Marlin

Australia
328 Posts

Member No: #3080

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  01:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rossco's Homepage Send Rossco a Private Message
Mick they are round. They should stay still in the water, but if not put a couple of small rocks either side.

Rossco
Go to Top of Page

mick ward
Marlin

Australia
2202 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  2:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit mick ward's Homepage Send mick ward a Private Message
G`day Fellas ,
Hey Rossy , it wasn`t for me mate , I was just wondering how you set yours up thats all .
Mine works extremely well for me , but I`m always interested in others ideas as well.
I can`t seem to find a Pic I took at a family day At the Local lagoon with the lil one`s having a ball catching poddies .
One bottle was so full of the buggers , I almost had to cut it open to let them go , they were jamed in so tight .
And as well as me taking a pic of the poddies jammed in the trap , a parent of one of the other kids who tagged along , took some video of the fun the kids were having , and I can tell you that the Squeals of delight they let out when they pulled the trap in , was deafening .
Its a good fun day catching poddies with the lil ones .
Mick

I`LL BE BAAAACK....!!!!

Edited by - mick ward on 05 Nov 2004 2:15:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

slippery
Marlin

Australia
842 Posts

Member No: #1312

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  6:44:37 PM  Show Profile Send slippery a Private Message
ponsey, I've never bothered using poddy's, there's heaps of Yellowtail in the lake to use as livies and i think there're a better bait. The Mullet will keep better in the tank.

Good Luck Slippery...
Go to Top of Page

ponsey
Yellowfin

Australia
119 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  8:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ponsey's Homepage Send ponsey a Private Message
Slippery,
Very interesting,I don't ever remember seeing yellow tails in the lake, I get mine between the Island and the mouth of the channel,or out on Blacksmiths reef next time out on the lake I must take a loaf of bread and see what it brings in,I have had a lot of gar's around the boat when i threw an unwanted sanwhich or two over the side, anyway thanks for the tip I will go looking for them.

Go to Top of Page

fishcrazy
Marlin

Australia
2056 Posts

Member No: #183

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  10:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit fishcrazy's Homepage  Click to see fishcrazy's MSN Messenger address Send fishcrazy a Private Message
Good thread! Any chance someone could re-post the pictures?

Thanks!

http://www.fishcrazy.net
Go to Top of Page

catchnrelease
Goldfish

Australia
1376 Posts

Member No: #10933

Posted - 05 Jan 2007 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile Send catchnrelease a Private Message
I think some companies make good bait traps for a reasonable price. Just ask your local tackle store to see whether they stock any.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000