SPORTSFISH         FORUMS         FISHING         BOATING         GALLERY         LIBRARY         DIRECTORY     
 Fish Home : Welcome to the Sportsfish Network

All Forums
 Welcome to Sportsfish Forums
 FishChat (general)
 Any Tips? on catching eels at night in the river
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reel Lady
Sailfish

Australia
223 Posts

Member No: #5535

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  11:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Reel Lady's Homepage Send Reel Lady a Private Message
Hi

I am off tomorrow night to fish for eel in a Victorian river outside of Melbourne in the east.

Any tips of their favourite bait/size of hook/rig.

I did hear that horse meat is good but dont know where to get it. Our maybe lamb heart. And one suggestion was a NO. 4 suicide hook.

Does this sound OK????

Thanks

Reel Lady

xavdav
Marlin

Australia
519 Posts

Member No: #2321

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  10:38:06 AM  Show Profile Send xavdav a Private Message
Back in my childhood, in France we used to fish for eel at night without hooks at all. All you needed was a bit of fishing line( about 1 metre of 4kg line), a sewing needle, a stick of about 50 cm and an umbrella. the bait was garden worms.
I explain: you had to thread the worms on the fishing line with the needle, and make a kind of bundle with it. a good bundle would be made of about 30 worms, long to set up but it would last all night.
you would then tie the bundle to about 1/2 metre of fishing line and tie the other end of the line to the stick.
So now you are ready to fish.
What about the umbrella, you will tell me?
You actually use the umbrella as a landing device: you open it and put it next to you in the water, floating.

Now it is night, you stand in the water with your stick in the hand and your worm bundle in the water.
When an ell will bite the bundle, you will feel it and you just have to lift it out of the water ( it will keep biting the worms bundle) on to the up side down umbrella where you just have to make him loose grip of the worms

I never tried it in Australia, I do not even know if it would be legal(anyone on that subject?)

Good fishing!

(This is my opinion.... and I share it!)
METAL, WOOD & PLASTIC

Xavier

Edited by - xavdav on 07 Feb 2004 10:40:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

mick ward
Marlin

Australia
2202 Posts

Member No: #564

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  11:00:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit mick ward's Homepage Send mick ward a Private Message
G`day Fellas ,
No I`m Not ,
Yes I am ,
No I`m not
Yes I am ,
No I`m not .
OOOO the temptation is ........oh boy .....Ok , I`m outta here before I get`s into Trouble .
Mick

I`LL BE BAAAACK....!!!!

Go to Top of Page

loz
Yellowfin

Australia
181 Posts

Member No: #2486

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  2:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit loz's Homepage Send loz a Private Message
Come out with me one night reel lady eels are about the only bloddy thing I can catch at night. Hate the little *******s totaly stuff a good night out and tast like carp x chicken what the hell do you do with them eel leather shoes? I would rather smoke rabbit poo than eels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

''OUT OF THE BLUE''

Edited by - loz on 07 Feb 2004 9:37:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
The Saratoga

Australia
2041 Posts

Member No: #530

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  8:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage Send Nathan a Private Message
Eels are dead simple. Anything meaty will work. Worms are tops after rain. Long shank barbless hooks (use pliers to flatten the barbs) are the best. Otherwise you will spend forever de-hooking them. They also escape buckets well, so a rubbish bin should be the best way to contain them. Enjoy! You aren't fishing the peninsula by any chance?

"If it can't be caught on fly, it ain't worth fishing for"

Go to Top of Page

Scooter2
Marlin

Australia
337 Posts

Member No: #3209

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  11:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scooter2's Homepage Send Scooter2 a Private Message
Eels are not the sort of fishy creature I'd expect a Reel Lady to be chasing but if you've got to then -

My tip is to use a fish bait (any size up to 15cm) that no other fishy thing will want to eat , load it onto a reasonable sized hook (say 4/0) using line of 15lb plus on a handline. Need heavier line to reduce risk of being cut off by eels teeth. Set the handline and wait for the slack line to be taken up or the handline to start moving - that's your eel . By the time it takes the bait that far he will have the hook about 1/3 down it's gullet! Wind him in and get something good to grab it with ! Length of wait depends on local population of eels - shouldn't take long if there's a few about, especially at night. If current movement is small than use unweighted bait.

While you've got your handline set try fishing for something more palatable . Good luck and I hope you catch something else.

The best thing about fishing is being there

Scooter2

Go to Top of Page

Reel Lady
Sailfish

Australia
223 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2004 :  12:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Reel Lady's Homepage Send Reel Lady a Private Message
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Well my fishing club has just had an evening fishing at Healsville, Victoria on the Yarra River(12 eager souls).

We arrived at 6.00PM enjoyed a BBQ dinner, had a sip or two of our favourite beverages then set up our lines. Basic rig they were using consisted of a NO. 2 bean sinker running to a swivel then about 10" on line to a NO. 6 long shank hook.

For bait some decided to use lamb hearts, some others tried beef kidney while chicken liver, T Bone steak strips and even a few pipies were used.

Fishing commenced at dusk and lasted till 11.30PM.

Weighin produced 0.600kg + 0.200kg + 180kg eels and one small carp.

By the way smoked eel after soaking in brine for 20 mins is delicious. BBQ'd or baked OK too.

I have also posted this on the fishing report formum.

Thanks for your help once again.

Reel Lady
Go to Top of Page

xtosea
Moonfish

Australia
2130 Posts

Member No: #5433

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  9:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit xtosea's Homepage  Click to see xtosea's MSN Messenger address Send xtosea a Private Message
What the hell do you want to catch eels for???

Lose some line, and reel em' in.
Go to Top of Page

Reel Lady
Sailfish

Australia
223 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  11:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Reel Lady's Homepage Send Reel Lady a Private Message
xtosea

The reason I like to catch eels are -

1. When you manage to hook one, they twist & turn like crazy, trying to twist themselves around any tree/log they can find to stop you catching them. THen as they can lift them out of the water they try to escape out of a bucket so you are better to keep them in a hessian bag, no need of water to keep them alive.

2. THey are as slimey and slippery to touch so trying to kill them by chopping off their heads is difficult but not impossible.

3. THey taste great whether BBQ, baked or smoked.

4. They make great Gummy Shark bait. I believe that SNapper like them as well and eel makes a great all round surf bait.

5. You target them after dark and on a beautiful evening when the weather is balmy it is great being out there trying to catch them.

6. You catch them normally while you are safely on the bank of a river where you are nice and dry. Also you drive to the spot not in your boat BUT in your car (no rough water).

So all in all 6 good reasons to go after eels.

Reel Lady
Go to Top of Page

xtosea
Moonfish

Australia
2130 Posts

Member No: #5433

Posted - 10 Feb 2004 :  7:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit xtosea's Homepage  Click to see xtosea's MSN Messenger address Send xtosea a Private Message
Seems fair to me, i hate them though and my mum likes to eat them smoked, european delicassy. I always catch them when fishing for jew and the shite me.

Lose some line, and reel em' in.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Sportsfish Australia © Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000