Topic author: FLOYDY
Subject: 5.99 Polycraft
Posted on: 05 Nov 2006 10:00:27 AM
Has anyone got any feed back on 5.99 Polycraft ? good or bad

Replies:

Reply author: dreamin
Replied on: 05 Nov 2006 5:06:19 PM
Hi
I have a 5.99 centre console Polycraft fitted with a Honda 130 for about 18 months and I must firstly say that it is a great boat, It is run out of Townville and most trips are in the 50-150 mile range and with the recent winds up here coming home in 1.5 to 2 metre chop is quite safe and almost pleasant, my previous boat a Stessel 5.5 tri hull with a 90 Honda in the same conditions would require a change of underpants on return and not just because they were wet. The day I went for a test run was 20-25 knots and near the mouth of Ross Creek was a chop backing up on itself from the wind tide and breakwaters of at least 2.5 meters of confused seas, it was Saturday and only two other trailers were in the car park where there is normally 50 to 100. Once again the boat always felt safe and seaworthy and the only time you get a bit of spray is into waves that are getting the tops blown off when at 45 degrees and a bit fast, the Stessl in the same conditions, which I would not have gone out in would be copping greenies over the bow. Running with the waves into or across is not a problem and I think the width of about 2.5 meters (the max allowable to standard trailer) helps this. The boat is not at all sensitive to trim I tend to set the centre on the trim gauge and leave it there, moving around the boat when going along has little if any effect on any listing which is another bonus,when stopped I think 4 or 5 people on one side would have no effect. With the Honda 130 the top speed is around 38 knots and cruises at 4200 and 20 knots which is a good speed to sit up to a chop of 1 to 1.5 meters .The boat does not bang and when you come off the back of a big one a bit fast and you bend your knees waiting for the thump it is always a pleasant surprise on landing.
Anyway that is the good news now to show I don't work for Polycraft there have been a few problems. Firstly I don't know who did the wiring of the electrics (i suspect the dealer not Polycraft) but the boat has a twin battery setup through a 1-2-both switch (which has loose guts and will not turn the power off without jiggling it) (replaced under warrenty)a lead was run from 1 battery to a 6 switch panel all with 20 amp fuses, it has a rear light on the transom that was linked to the rear bilge pump, put the bilge pump on the light comes on too, very handy, the 2 auto bilge pumps one was wired for manual operation, the other not connected, the wiring was auto grade not tinned (must have saved about $10) I redid the lot adding tinned wire, a blade fuse block ,bus bars ,auto switch for the bilge pumps and ran the transducer cable ,navman fuel monitor and gps leads.(wiring scored 1 out of 10)
The storage hatches on the front port and starboard have warped to the stage that if you step on one end they fly out from under you and you fall in the storage hole(they are supposed to lift out and are not hinged).(replaced under warrenty). The fuel gauge is full of condensation (replaced under warrenty).The compass supplied is a 2 inch in dash mount and good for nothing. There was no trim gauge or hour meter fitted as standard. The supplied tinted windscreen looks good too bad you can't see through it at night and is not much better during the day, get used to standing up.
The RM Trailer is not supplied with a spare tyre and the Teflon strips are riveted on and the rivets are falling out,(replaced under warrenty)and accessing the bolts to remove the brakes to renew the bearings is a pain as they are behind the spring and you need to drop the axel.
I think the problems may well be a combination of the dealer fit out as well as Polycraft.All warranty issues were fixed no problems quickly and efficiently at the 20 hour service no hassles and I thank god I did not have to deal with some of the other major players for warranty work.
But it is a truly great boat and for the price I paid $37500 all new with Honda 130 there is nothing close to the size, safety, range (200 ltr tank),<

Reply author: FLOYDY
Replied on: 05 Nov 2006 5:45:21 PM
Thanks Dreamin,
This is what it's all about ! shareing information so we all don't have to learn it the hard way!.Really good to here the good and bad points.Thanks mate!

Reply author: slippery
Replied on: 05 Nov 2006 6:18:42 PM
Great report dreamin, sort of makes me wont look into one of theses boats.

Reply author: Jumpus GooDarus
Replied on: 05 Nov 2006 6:29:29 PM

quote:
Sorry if this is a bit long winded and I will be happy to help with any other questions before the anti Poly Brigade hijack the thread with their wheelie bin, hammer and esky jokes..

Did you have to use American Express to pay for it
See I didn't make any esky jokes

Reply author: deek
Replied on: 06 Nov 2006 12:43:49 PM
Hey Flloydy,

Check out polyboatowners.com.au

Reply author: Pirate_Pete
Replied on: 06 Nov 2006 5:12:11 PM
The polyboat owners site is down at the moment due to the hosting company the site is on going broke. Hopefully Dave the preson who runs the poly site will have the site on a new host mid week.

Reply author: green eyeed gupy
Replied on: 07 Nov 2006 10:06:22 PM
i know some one who sold them and he said that every one he sold (polycraft) had a waranty claim

Reply author: Fishernut
Replied on: 08 Nov 2006 08:21:05 AM
dreamin

can you post a pic of your boat

cheers

Replied on: 08 Nov 2006 6:17:07 PM
Hey Gupy
Are you going to say who it was that you know who sold them or is it the old mothers uncles cousin knew somone who read it in a book,that he saw in a dentists office when on holiday.I get sick of all the BS, how about getting them on line to give us all the facts. Otherwise they are just through away lines and should be treated as such.

Reply author: Dingo
Replied on: 08 Nov 2006 7:08:52 PM
Dreamin whats with the attitude? do you feel you have to protect poly craft or something, chill out mate.

I havent been in a poly but do have an interest in boats in general.
I called into Terrace marine at raymond terrace the other day and Daves old boat Bream On the recycled wizz bin was there so I took the liberty of seeing how they age.
Hull looked good although fairly scratched and scuffed, slight distorting in the plastic.
Something I hadnt given any thought to was the hatches where people stand had become fairly distorted to the point a rope has been attached so you can open them, this would be a problem with the flooring also I think, guess its because they cant or dont put braces into the hollow sections.
On the positive side I havent heard anybody complain about the performance of them

Reply author: green eyeed gupy
Replied on: 08 Nov 2006 8:04:44 PM
hey dreamin
just my dad had a mate that used to own the dealer ship of them

k

Replied on: 14 Nov 2006 6:03:57 PM
Hey Floydy the http://www.polyboatowners.com web site is back up & running now so go & chat the the guys over there about their polys. There are 3 or 4 5.99s Amoungst their numbers

Reply author: NAGG
Replied on: 19 Nov 2006 9:49:21 PM
I find that most of the BS (not the jokes) come from poly owners . Before you buy a plastic fantastic ..... Learn about plastic compounding & rotational moulding (check out Exxon Mobil in the US .... one of the largest suppliers of Roto moulding Poly ethylene in the world) ....... Then you'll learn the real facts about things like longevity / UV stabilization).
NAGG
PS I work in the industry & i wouldn't buy one!

Replied on: 19 Nov 2006 9:53:06 PM
Run for your lives its started!

Reply author: brownp
Replied on: 20 Nov 2006 08:27:11 AM
Nagg,

Could you give us some specifics? What about the poly yacht tenders you still see around after 30 years? How come my poly garbage bin hasn't deteriorated after being year in year out in the sun with a UV rating of only 4, whereas Poly Boat have a uv rating of 10?

Why would you rather have an alloy or fiberglass boat with problems of electrolysis and galvanic corrosion, dents and cracked welds in alloy. In fiberglass problems like fading and cracked gelcoat, damage from even slight impacts, delamination and softening, dry rot of wooden stringers and transom pop up regularly.

With poly you have none of these drawbacks.

Reply author: deek
Replied on: 20 Nov 2006 1:12:28 PM
That's why his name is NAGG because he likes to Nagg everyone.

Replied on: 23 Nov 2006 8:25:57 PM
Deek .... I dont need to NAGG anyone.. The fact is that unlike most people that rave about plastics .... I actually have 15 years in the industry (Plastics) in a Technical role .... I see the good & the bad side of plastics ...... I know the capabilities based on how well a polymer is formulated / compounded.................................... + I know that plastics can only be protected (UV) for a limited time .... after that
Phil .... Its very hard to elaborate & compare MGBs (wheelie bins) & roto moulded boats ! You mention levels of stabilisation 10 vs 4 ... now unless you know what that means ... big deal (10 is equal to about 5 years in Florida USA & 4 is 2 years) .... The failure criterea is 50% of the original tensile strength. So after 5 years your poly is potentially half has strong as it was when new!.
Regardless of the annectotal evidence on how long a wheelie bin lasts (which is HDPE) & how long these old tenders & kyaks have been around (LLDPE) ..... hit one with a hammer & see how brittle it may really be.
So therefore I would have much more confidence in 10 year old alloy or glass than a 10 year old plastic.
NAGG

Replied on: 24 Nov 2006 2:05:30 PM
Nagg,

Actually the poly has a UV rating of 11, but yes that still equates to 50% tensile strength after 5 years in the Florida sun all day every day. But if you take the simple precaution of storing your boat under cover like I do I can't see UV degradation being an issue. The UV exposure in this case would be a small fraction of the 5 year rating.

Replied on: 24 Nov 2006 6:00:46 PM
Nagg Nagg Nagg
Thatís great info on the polies I must scrap the 599 now. Are you sure you are not a Qunnie dealer trying to get a few sales back.
No on second thoughts I think I will keep it so I can post a report when it falls apart according to your brilliant scientific logic.
And for the replacement (glass or ally) I will be able to get plenty of willing and unbiased help on how to fix pin holes and oxidization in aluminum and how to replace floors, transoms and gel coat in glass boats, it seems to happen often enough to for it not to be a problem and something that is just accepted with aluminum and glass,
I know change is hard to accept for some think of the changes in history that were opposed by the dinosaurs, cars, planes, fiberglass and aluminum for boats, computers etc unfortunately their will always be some that cannot accept change no matter how small.
If you like we can exchange boat pictures and problems encounter in 5 years time.
Till then I will enjoy my boat and wait with baited breath till it disintegrates under me, what a way to go.

Replied on: 24 Nov 2006 6:33:32 PM
Dreaming,

I think he actually is a Quinnie owner. Nothing wrong with that, I have owned them myself. But do a search on fishing sites regarding "problems" and "cracks" and you will find whole sagas, especially regarding the Hornet model. This is with boats a few years old too.

He is right though that "UV stabilised" does not mean they immune to UV damage indefinitely. But I can't see that it is a problem if you store the boat undercover or with a tarp or boat cover.

Reply author: punkin
Replied on: 24 Nov 2006 6:39:47 PM
Seems to me we have a bloke with a fair bit of technical knowledge makin a very valid point. Something i didn't know and now do. As Dreamin has so confrontationally and sarcastically pointed out, their is also problems occur in GRP and Alloy materials, and i know epoxy ect has probs too.
Can't see why people like Dreamin turn it into a personal attack and place ulterior dishonest motives at the feet of people?

Just a bloke pointing out that not all is rosy, and there is other things to consider when making a purchase.

quote:
Dreamin whats with the attitude? do you feel you have to protect poly craft or something, chill out mate.

Too right

Replied on: 28 Nov 2006 9:05:34 PM
Hi All I've let this go a few days before I've decided to re enter the thread ..... Yes I do own a Quinnie (my second) . Believe it or not , I actually looked at a poly quickcraft side console (when $$$ were the driving force) along with every other brand of boat.
My inside knowledge aside & I probably could have arranged for the best stabilisation & colour package for a poly boat ..... I still couldn't walk the path.
As Punkin alluded to .... Just someone who knows his stuff & pointing it out to a prospective buyer ....... Do the research & make a more informed decision
By the way .... I'm still to see a 10 year old Alloy suffer from electrolysis or a 10 year old glass boat have problems (unless they were severely neglected!)
Dreamin I actually never said that a poly will fall apart ..... The fact is that based on normal usage & if the boat is generally stored under cover, a poly could theoretically last a lifetime ..... but I get sick of the BS spun more often than not ...... & let me tell you one final thing ..... IT IS VERY EASY TO COCK UP THE COMPOUNDING OF POLYETHYLENE!!! ..... I see it & I work for a global leader in the field NAGG

Reply author: Whitto
Replied on: 28 Nov 2006 9:08:43 PM
I reckon i'll go back out fishin' ... hope to see you out there

Reply author: Lewis
Replied on: 28 Nov 2006 10:22:11 PM
That'l do me.
Whitto I'm with you lets take the poly's out for a fish.

Replied on: 29 Nov 2006 9:15:48 PM
Whitto & Lewis ........ We should all go out for a fish (regardless of the structure of your boat) ...... Just dont let any bleach based cleaners near your poly (seriously)
NAGG

Replied on: 29 Nov 2006 9:51:05 PM
Thanks for the advice Nagg

And you watch out for little bubbles under the paint on your Quintrex ... seriously ... 40 years in various tinnies (including a 2001 Quintrex) and 30 years of spray painting experience tells me that you will need a weld (or two) and a re-paint long before my boat turns into compost

See you on the Bay

Replied on: 30 Nov 2006 12:16:16 AM
Well all isnít this a surprise another poly post turned to poop, but it does make me think, I was going out to the reef this weekend as the weather looks good but Iím a bit worried the Poly has reached its half life and may have lost its strength and I may have to swim home and seeing its about 50 miles off the coast from Townsville I hope there is a Quimmie around to save me. The strange thing is you donít see many Quimmies out at the reef, I donít know why but Iíve heard off someone who works in the industry the 660 and 620 offshores bang a bit and the 660 with a 175hp and a 140 ltr tank or the 620 with a 150hp and 120ltr tank donít have the range (without taking jerry cans) to safely make the distance.
You know I think I will risk it (since Naggs words of wisdom I have been rubbing sunscreen 30+ no less over the boat) the standard 200ltr tank, 130 Honda no problems and if it blows up in the afternoon I will post some pics of the boats we cruise past on the way home.
But Nagg if it does fall apart I will think of your sound advice as I am being turned into shark sh1t.

Replied on: 30 Nov 2006 07:54:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dreamin

Well all isnít this a surprise another poly post turned to poop,

Funny that, your the one who turned it into poop.

How do you modify a poly if your needs change?
What do you do with a poly if like the boat I seen with the hatches starting to sag and distort?

Boats are just like cars Holden v Ford, Patrol v Landcruiser.

Its people like you who feel the need to defend your choice in boat that turns these discussions into poop. Nagg has some good points yet you in the defence of your choice of boat have to belittle him and turn it into a personal stoush.

There is yet to be a perfect boat built. There is yet to be a perfect material to build boats from, until then its all about personal choice.

Loose the attitude and allow others to have an opinion, if the polys are so good time will show.

Ps Whitto I told ya before I'll tell ya again, you owned a Stacer not a Quintrex

Replied on: 30 Nov 2006 10:09:26 AM
Thanks Paul ... you are perfectly correct, Quintrex did put Stacer graphics on a Quintrex 4.35 Hornet for me

I wonder why I keep forgetting ... just silly I guess

It was a good boat, regardless of who we think made it

Replied on: 30 Nov 2006 10:09:37 AM
quote:
How do you modify a poly if your needs change?
What do you do with a poly if like the boat I seen with the hatches starting to sag and distort?

That's easy ! Take it to McDonnalds & ask for a extra gerkin & Lettuce hope the melted cheese holds it all together

Replied on: 30 Nov 2006 3:37:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Whitto

Thanks Paul ... you are perfectly correct, Quintrex did put Stacer graphics on a Quintrex 4.35 Hornet for me

I wonder why I keep forgetting ... just silly I guess

It was a good boat, regardless of who we think made it

It was ok except for that silly cover you had on it, gee that thing made it hard for Russell to paddle

Replied on: 30 Nov 2006 8:09:05 PM
Mate that question is easy drop it back to the dealer and they will replace them if within the 4 year warranty no problems mine were replaced in a couple of days with the new design. Try a warranty repair with some of the larger aluminium companies, nothing but heartache from what I have read on a number of forums, or has that changed?
I simply wrote an objective report on my boat, what I found good and most importantly the problems I found and the repairs done under warranty I have nothing to hide. I donít need to defend my choice of boat, it suits my needs came within my budget is safe and performs to a standard that was above my expectations so Im happy and and If your happy with what you have or go out in thats great.
Buy the way I also have Qunnie 350 Traveller but I only use that at night so no one sees me.

Replied on: 01 Dec 2006 6:42:23 PM
Hi All
My comments were made to inform members of some little known facts (away from the hype) .... I really don't give a damn nor am I offended if members take notice or not (I just see it in the same light as employees letting the cat out of the bag from organisations like James Hardie , British Tobacco, Philip Morris during the 60/70s etc)
In the end .... if it inspires people to do a little more research ... GREAT That way an informed decision can be made (like me with my Quinnie Hornet ..... bought with an open mind & knowing the potential vices)
NAGG
PS I believe there are still people in Australia the will say that the Leyland P76 was a great car & the the late Peter Brocks Ioniser really worked

Replied on: 01 Dec 2006 10:13:53 PM
Thanks again for the info Nagg ... it's always good to make an informed choice, but (... there is always a but) I just don't see how you can rate asbestos and tobacco alongside a poly boat

I reckon you better quit your dangerous profession before you die from poly poisioning ... I am now VERY concerened for your well-being mate!

Does working with poly affect your brain in an adverse way

Sorry, silly question ... you'll have to excuse me, I have had poly rainwater tanks for 12 years and it's obviously affecting me badly And now with 2 poly boats, a poly wheelbarrow, my new poly box trailer and all them wheelie bins ... i'm a gonner for sure!!!

If only I had stuck with the old corrugated iron watertank ... oh well, your dire warnings have come to late to save me ... sayonara Whitto!!!

Reply author: topend
Replied on: 02 Dec 2006 08:13:28 AM
I like the smaller Polycraft boats and am concidering a 4.5m side console for Barra fishing. I am a little concerned about the larger Polycraft boats. Do the larger boats have problems with distortion? I have seen a 5.99 at a local dealer where the sides were badly distorted on both sides. It was that bad it looked like a car had driven into both sides.

Dreamin, 38 knots in a 5.99 Polycraft with a Honda 130 is very quick. Rick Huckstepp could only get 60km/h (32.4 knots) from this boat & motor combination. "1.5 to 2 metre chop is almost pleasant", gee I'm not sure it's pleasant in my 6.8m deep vee fibreglass boat in those conditions.

Your review may be a little exaggerated.

Topend.

Reply author: Kerry
Replied on: 02 Dec 2006 11:55:17 PM
[quote]Originally posted by dreamin

Hi
I have a 5.99 centre console Polycraft fitted with a Honda 130 for about 18 months and I must firstly say that it is a great boat, It is run out of Townville and most trips are in the 50-150 mile range and with the recent winds up here coming home in 1.5 to 2 metre chop is quite safe and almost pleasant, my previous boat a Stessel 5.5 tri hull with a 90 Honda in the same conditions would require a change of underpants on return and not just because they were wet. The day I went for a test run was 20-25 knots and near the mouth of Ross Creek was a chop backing up on itself from the wind tide and breakwaters of at least 2.5 meters of confused seas, it was Saturday and only two other trailers were in the car park where there is normally 50 to 100. Once again the boat always felt safe and seaworthy and the only time you get a bit of spray is into waves that are getting the tops blown off when at 45 degrees and a bit fast, the Stessl in the same conditions, which I would not have gone out in would be copping greenies over the bow. Running with the waves into or across is not a problem and I think the width of about 2.5 meters (the max allowable to standard trailer) helps this. The boat is not at all sensitive to trim I tend to set the centre on the trim gauge and leave it there, moving around the boat when going along has little if any effect on any listing which is another bonus,when stopped I think 4 or 5 people on one side would have no effect. With the Honda 130 the top speed is around 38 knots and cruises at 4200 and 20 knots which is a good speed to sit up to a chop of 1 to 1.5 meters .The boat does not bang and when you come off the back of a big one a bit fast and you bend your knees waiting for the thump it is always a pleasant surprise on landing.
Anyway that is the good news now to show I don't work for Polycraft there have been a few problems. Firstly I don't know who did the wiring of the electrics (i suspect the dealer not Polycraft) but the boat has a twin battery setup through a 1-2-both switch (which has loose guts and will not turn the power off without jiggling it) (replaced under warrenty)a lead was run from 1 battery to a 6 switch panel all with 20 amp fuses, it has a rear light on the transom that was linked to the rear bilge pump, put the bilge pump on the light comes on too, very handy, the 2 auto bilge pumps one was wired for manual operation, the other not connected, the wiring was auto grade not tinned (must have saved about $10) I redid the lot adding tinned wire, a blade fuse block ,bus bars ,auto switch for the bilge pumps and ran the transducer cable ,navman fuel monitor and gps leads.(wiring scored 1 out of 10)
The storage hatches on the front port and starboard have warped to the stage that if you step on one end they fly out from under you and you fall in the storage hole(they are supposed to lift out and are not hinged).(replaced under warrenty). The fuel gauge is full of condensation (replaced under warrenty).The compass supplied is a 2 inch in dash mount and good for nothing. There was no trim gauge or hour meter fitted as standard. The supplied tinted windscreen looks good too bad you can't see through it at night and is not much better during the day, get used to standing up.
The RM Trailer is not supplied with a spare tyre and the Teflon strips are riveted on and the rivets are falling out,(replaced under warrenty)and accessing the bolts to remove the brakes to renew the bearings is a pain as they are behind the spring and you need to drop the axel.
I think the problems may well be a combination of the dealer fit out as well as Polycraft.All warranty issues were fixed no problems quickly and efficiently at the 20 hour service no hassles and I thank god I did not have to deal with some of the other major players for warranty work.
But it is a truly great boat and for the price I paid $37500 all new with Honda 130 there is nothing

Reply author: Fishernut
Replied on: 03 Dec 2006 06:56:23 AM
kerry

spose it depends what type of boat he had before this one???
If he had a boat that did not handle weather and was a pig than a boat that does will be almost pleasent

Replied on: 03 Dec 2006 07:13:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by topend

I like the smaller Polycraft boats and am concidering a 4.5m side console for Barra fishing. I am a little concerned about the larger Polycraft boats. Do the larger boats have problems with distortion? I have seen a 5.99 at a local dealer where the sides were badly distorted on both sides. It was that bad it looked like a car had driven into both sides.

Topend,

They are all like that from the factory, including the small models. Ie the sides are a bit ripply if you view them from certain angles.

PS I'm not sure if Nagg is a whistleblower (ala big tobacco, asbestos) or a disgruntled worker (eg like an ex post office worker on a rampage!). He certainly seems to have it in for the Polycraft.

Replied on: 03 Dec 2006 08:43:17 AM
Hi brownp,

On the 5.99 I mentioned the sides were caved in. As I said it was like someone had driven a car into the side of the boat. If I ever see that boat again I will take a photo and post it.

I have seen the ripples you mention and to me this is not a big problem on the 4.5m boat I would like to buy. I have noticed these ripples are also on the bottom of the boat too. I believe this is the reason they are not a particually fast boat. Even powering a 5.99 with the maximum 175hp may not see the 38 knots claimed by Dreamin.

Topend.

Replied on: 03 Dec 2006 11:33:39 AM
Hi All
Iíve been away for a bit and by reading the posts it looks like I will have to change my name to THE DEFENDANT.
Firstly the speed I quoted it should be 33 knots by GPS not 38 and will expect a minimum of 100 lashes for the typo no conspiracy theory just an error.
Regarding the 1.5 Ė2 mtr chop as stated in my first post compared to my previous boat in the same conditions it was more than a dog it was downright dangerous,Ē almost pleasant to me is not copping green waves over the front, broaching and thinking the next wave will roll you and feeling safe.
It looks like rather than give a first hand boat report I should have said, Go for a test run in conditions you would normally give up boating and come home and make your own decision whether you want it when you consider what the equivalent boat you can get for the price.
Buy the way I would love to see the photos of the one with the caved in sides (not the one a container was dropped on up in Torres Straight though) but Iím still waiting to see the photos of the cracked Polies from a few years ago that everyone has seen, or knows someone who knows someone who has seen one.
Anyway thanks to the prosecution, for me its case closed.

Replied on: 03 Dec 2006 2:09:40 PM
Dreamin,

I thought your report was a good one and now you have cleared up a couple of things a perspective customer will have something to gain by reading it.

Topend

Reply author: Kerry
Replied on: 03 Dec 2006 10:15:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fishernut

kerry

spose it depends what type of boat he had before this one???
If he had a boat that did not handle weather and was a pig than a boat that does will be almost pleasent

Nearly pleasant, almost pleasant, any sort of pleasant, no such thing in a 6m boat in 2 metres. Just a lot of hot air sales mumbo and obviously the difference between facts and hype continues.

Reply author: Anthonyv
Replied on: 03 Dec 2006 10:19:25 PM
and so will the argument

Replied on: 07 Dec 2006 10:48:29 PM
Quote : PS I'm not sure if Nagg is a whistleblower (ala big tobacco, asbestos) or a disgruntled worker (eg like an ex post office worker on a rampage!). He certainly seems to have it in for the Polycraft.

Phil Rest assured , I'm no disgruntled ex employee ... (I actually still work in the industry & make a good living out of it.... 16 years @ 2nd Jan)
I certainly don't have it in for any Polyethylene boat (I don't want people to think that I'm singling out any brands) ....as a concept! My problem lies with what happens before the polyethylene even gets to the moulder. Through this experience & knowledge , I have made my comments (I've seen the best & worst of plastic products).... Ever wonder why a piece of outdoor furniture breaks within a couple of years & another lasts 10 years even though they may both be made out of the same grade of polypropylene!!!! its all in the compounding!
I don't want to bore members with the technical side of plastic formulating / compounding or alarm any one.... just offer some food for thought! If you wish to personalise an attack fine!.... join the queue & while you are waiting .... do some research & learn the facts yourself ..... Don't rely on what I say (even though many people in my industry do) .... Find out for yourself & ask the the questions..... because plastics ain't plastics. The raw fact is "You cannot physically make any plastic last as long as Aluminium" (one that is suitable for boat manufacture) ...... Unfortunately too many dic% hea$s try to make out that you can .... all because they feel the need to justify their choice of boat!
NAGG
PS Your water tank is made to meet potable water standards .... You just my have Cadmium pigments in there! (which are banned in these applications in Europe ... but not here)

Replied on: 07 Dec 2006 11:06:08 PM
Hi Nagg,

I would have thought that Polycraft would use the best grade of polyethlene available. Why don't you ask them? At the moment you are just speculating. They answer all their email queries. Sure "plastics aint plastics", but the same goes for aluminium and fiberglass too. I can't say that you have offered any evidence that plastic is an inherently inferior material.

Replied on: 11 Dec 2006 11:27:00 PM
Phil You missed the point ..... While the moulder might have the intention to buy the best polyethylene they can ...... Unfortunately there is a thing called batch to batch variation. If this boils down to a difference in colour ..... You will notice it! If it is the level of UV stabilizer ..... You wont! .... nor will the moulder
Also ..... as I mentioned .... You can only make plastic last for a limited time ! While this varies from how the boat is used & stored .... The fact remains it is very limited (I'll take a 10 year old Quinnie rather than a 10 year old poly that has been moored alongside)
NAGG

Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 09:03:33 AM
Nagg,

I have worked in quality contol for years in a variety of industries; brewing, margarine, ink to name a few. These are all batch processes with plenty of things to potentially go wrong. But all the critical parameters are checked by lab testing (often twice) before the product is released. Are you saying there is no quality control testing in the plastics industry?

That aside how do you claim that the life of polyethylene is "very limited" no matter how you store it. The UV rating of 11 equates to 5 years before failure when directly exposed to the Florida sun 24/7. Now in my case I would be lucky to use my boat once a fortnight for 6 hours a trip before the boat is put back under cover. So per year the exposure to the sun is for 24 days divided by 4 to give 6 days exposure per year. Ie sixty time less exposure than the 5 year rating! So in theory my boat should last 300 years. The there's the fact that I live in a cooler latitude that Florida and my trips are usually early in the morning or late in the afternoon. So lets say add another 100 yrs for that which gives us 400 years. Do you think any fiberglass or alloy boats will last this long?

Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 10:56:23 AM
Hey do you think a pair of sunglass's, hat & the old Zinc cream would prolong the life of the boat ??

Reply author: RS173
Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 12:46:23 PM
Some strong feelings running here on this one.
Interesting post though.
I think we have to listen to blokes like Nagg who are obviously in the business and well informed, but also listen to those who run polys and enjoy them.
I think a fair summary would be that they are pretty good boats but should be stored under cover as often as possible to prolong the effects of UV.

I have always had ally boats, but even then I've always stored them under cover, the harsh Australian sun will attack almost anything if left out in it long enough.

Ron

Reply author: Chadd
Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 3:47:17 PM
my plastic only lasts one use ;)

Hows about the strengh of these with escessive rubbing, as said previosly the plastic will scratch/scuff faster than fibre or alloy?

And hows about repairs? I have worked in the marine trade (mainly on Yachts doing rigging) however we also did aluminium fabrication and fibreglass repairs. The most common repairs for boats tht had been looked after and were starting to ages was the splits in the aluminium and the rotting out of fibreglass transoms. But these were on boats well over 20 yrs old!

Any smaller repairs were quick and simple!

I know plastic welding has come along way, but if yuo were to damage poly how easily can it be repaired?

Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 4:49:19 PM
I just have a dig when I see ridiculous comments

te fair suck of the old Dingo's donger browny how can you compare what you do with your fantastic plastic to that of others quoting a 400 year life ?

Fact Alloy boats corrode
Fact Glass boats get that thingamajig deasese that glass boats

Butif people who own these type of boats got the shampoo & buffer out every time they used them then hid them in a garage till next year then I'm sure they'd get a 600 years lifespan out of them [figure of speech]

Dont sit there & tell me a pollywaffle boat can handle the knocks & bumps of a plate boat cause I'll say you've been on the Wacky 2backy I use plas where ever I can on my alloy boat only because to cut down on corrosion for exaple all holes are sleeved with teflon bush's prior to S/S fasteners going through stops electrolosis but I would own a plastic boat it wouldn't handle what I'd dish out.

Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 5:07:51 PM
osmosis!! :)

Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 5:30:15 PM
That's the one Ozzie the Ostrich from hey hey it's saturday had it & they had to put him down

Replied on: 12 Dec 2006 6:08:45 PM
Well i guess if they come back they will have to replace Ozzie the Ostrich with Poly The Parrot!! :) :) :)

Well, as long as he stays outta the sun! :D

Replied on: 16 Dec 2006 8:13:05 PM
Brownp ..... While you may use your boat for a limited time & store it undercover .... that fine ! I'd hate to see one that is left uncovered on a mooring for 10 years ..... & that is the issue here!
NAGG
PS .... I have seen a HR holden that has had one owner & has only 70,000+ miles on the clock & it still looks brand new (nearly)....The owner (in his 70s) drives it just locally... to the shops!

Replied on: 16 Dec 2006 9:10:46 PM
Nagg,

Actually I thought most moored boats had covers on them. Also most boats 6m and under are trailed, not moored.

PS do you know what happens to moored aluminium boats when other metal is in the water, eg such as a steel boat moored nearby? The alloy boat becomes a sacrificial anode!

Replied on: 16 Dec 2006 10:49:48 PM
brownp stop talking C**P where the hell do you get your data from ?????????

Accept the fact all boats have their good & bads & stop trying to make out your PolyTheParrot is the ants pants just because you own one.

Reply author: Anthonyv
Replied on: 17 Dec 2006 12:05:40 AM
ZING!!

Replied on: 17 Dec 2006 09:30:22 AM
Jumpus,

Define C**P. I stand by everything I have said. Show me what is factually incorrect. PS I also own a fiberglass boat and I have owned tinnies.

Replied on: 17 Dec 2006 7:15:34 PM
I did my apprenticeship working on aircraft know a fair bit about alloy's part of the training was spent inside a classroom learning about corrosion & how it occurs.
At the time I thought it was a utter waste of time & after all these years I finally figured out why it was taught to us
So I could have a go @ you & others who own boats but know nothing about them I've come across so called experts think they know a thing or 2 but are clueless one of my favourites is hearing what they say causes electrolysis corrosion

browny it's just some of the ridiculous things that you've said thats made me reply the way I have, you've got a plastic boat & think it's great ?
Fine I have no probs with that enjoy it but dont go around making false claims about the other hull types cause they've been proven yours hasen't yet

Had to come back & edit 4got to ask

How would your plasic boat fair in resale cause I cant see much of a demand for them nor market

Replied on: 17 Dec 2006 7:50:36 PM
Well Jumpus, I can go one up, I passed 2nd year physical chemistry at Uni. I known a bit about corrosion. The process I described is galvanic corrosion. An alloy boat moored near steel is sitting in an electroytic solution (seawater) ie it can can carry an electric current. A galvanic cell is formed and the less noble metal loses electrons (ie corrodes or oxidises). You referred to electrolytic corrosion. This occurs only when a current is introduced from an external source and it can happen if you don't have an isolation switch on your battery and you boat is not wired correctly.

PS: My previous boat was a Quintrex. After 18 months to my horror I found pin hole corrosion in the hull. Galvanic corrosion was the cause. On my old trailer I had put carpet over the wooden skids. The carpet was retaining moisture and trapping sand (which contains metal) and this was all it took to set up a galvanic cell.

Now I ask another time, why are my comments on plastic boats ridiculous.

Resale value? Seems to be good if the second hand prices I have seen are anything to go by. Not that I plan on selling mine in the forseable future. I haven't seen a better boat on the market than the 4.1 Challenger for lure and general fishing on enclosed waters.

Replied on: 17 Dec 2006 8:42:38 PM
You're contradicting yourself you're saying your tinny

quote:
On my old trailer I had put carpet over the wooden skids

Tell me where does the steel factor come into play what the sand ?????????????? dont make me laugh
If you ask me you most likely had a lead sinker floating around in your hull cause you said only one hole you didn't say there was corrosion all through the hull.
Or depending how old your quintrex was if it was one of the early models that sent the original quinny's that were made here in sydney prior to the Co going broke a lead based rubber was used between ribs & skin which resulted in massive warranty claims.
I currently own 2 alloy boats & just spent 3 months or so rebuilding the bigger one & a month non stop just cutting out the corrosin in the hull being a wet deck I'd never looked inside under the floor I've owned it @ least 15 years & bought it 2nd hand & can honestly say that I believe the corrosion was caused because the boat builder didn't allow any means for water in the hull to drain all thats retified now & it had nothing to do with your theory.

You should learn to tone down your remarks cause you dont even stop 1/2 way & go the full hog giving the absolute worst case senario & thats what I mean by rediculous.

As far as my comment on resale goes conduct a poll & see how many people would buy a plastic boat you'll find not many & there's my point no demand lower price longer to sell

Replied on: 17 Dec 2006 9:12:11 PM
Jumpus, I said the sand contains metals (ie minerals). Many a nigger fisherman has corroded his boat by putting wet sand he uses to mix his burley inside his boat.

Also note that the corrosion was on the OUTSIDE of the boat, EXACTLY where the skids were and nowhere else. The tinnie was a 2000 model and only 18 mths old.

Regarding ridiculous remarks it Naag who is presenting the ultimate worst case scenario about poly boats so why don't you go after him.

Polycraft sales seem to be doing quite well as far as I can see. The number of dealers in Sydney is expanding and they are a regular sight on our waterways. I even saw one on Shady Camp Billabong in the NT a few months ago.

Replied on: 17 Dec 2006 9:53:52 PM
Didn't see your boat so cant veryfy what you've said but still give no credit to your theory if what you say is true corroded on skids then there's every chance you chipped paint & the corrosion built up under the paint over a pewriod of time in any case it's a easy repair but I'd like to know what it would take to repair a hole in a plastic boat & keep it's atrength @ the same time.

I already told you I signal out your replies because you go to the extreme & they're senario's ehat seldom happen tone it down & you wont have me breathing down your neck in other words be realistic I've already said all boat materials have their good & bads & I still haven't mocked the fantastic plastic except for wise cracks.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 08:57:37 AM
Jumpus,

Thats alright, I like shooting down your uniformed remarks. By the way my tinnie was UNPAINTED. Also note that the corrosion stopped completely when I replaced the skids with plastic ones.

Holes in a plastic boat. Well being 5 times more impact resistant than fiberglass that would take quite some doing. To repair a hole you go to a plastic welder. The welds have 90% of the original strength.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 09:33:24 AM
browny you've done nothing of the kind in fact you remind me of this KUNG FU movie I once saw staring Hu Flung Dung.
Difference between you & me is that I speak thriugh expirience & dont uote out of a text book because I studied it @ Uni & I choose my words carefully you wont find a flaw in them whereas on the other hand you do alot of ASSUMING & you now what happens when you ASSUME ?

You make an ASS out of U but not ME

You've done this in a few threads that I've read then you wonder why people pick on you ? it's because you dont give it a rest & hell bent on being the authority on a issue like I already told you tone it down & you wont have that prob.

Dont go around with the attitude I went to University so I know more than you cause that dosen't wear with me a piece of paper is meant to wipe you arse with not hang up on the wall.
When I used to employ people B4 retiring I had no interest in looking @ their papers my motto was "Show Me Dont Tell Me" & so far all you've been able to do is Tell Me.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 10:05:28 AM
Jumpus it was you who brough up qualifications, ie that your aircraft apprenticeship made you and authority on aluminium corrosion.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 10:14:22 AM
Yeah & my qelifications are through 30 years of expirience working with corrosion problems & not by just reading about it in some textbook with no hands on.

See again you've attempted to prove yourself correct but unfortunately for you I very rarely ever leave myself open to be picked apart give it a break you'll never win with me chances are I've already got the next reply B4 you've finished reading my last one.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 10:27:26 AM
Yes, well I'll leave that for others to decide. In the meantime I'll see if I can put a block on all your posts.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 6:47:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brownp

Yes, well I'll leave that for others to decide.

quote:
In the meantime I'll see if I can put a block on all your posts.

Not positive if you can do that mate, but interested in the answer...Try asking in the help section? I know you can do it on some forums, but don't know bout this one.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 6:55:08 PM
quote:

Yes, well I'll leave that for others to decide. In the meantime I'll see if I can put a block on all your posts.

You're a twit & again like always you're talking out of your A***

The only thing you can block is pm's sent to you which I have not sent or have any intentions of sending

Reply author: Bashir
Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 7:04:47 PM
I have studied materials science and physics at uni and what Brownp says is 100% correct, oh and we also did practical experiments, creating our own galvanic cells. Aircraft appreticeship does not make you an expert either, maybe if you did an aluminium boat apprenticeship. Last time I checked, aircraft flew through the air, not saltwater, so how could you learn anything PRACTICALLY about galvanic corrosion through an aircraft apprenticeship? Do some reading mate, you can't sit there and say what is written is a load of crap, if you're gonna sit there and say you are smarter than all the scientist around the world, you're right and their wrong, you're a goose. Galvanic corrosion is a very simple thing, much less complex than electrolysis, as brownp has described it perfectly.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 7:56:26 PM
Bashir don't you start cause I can shoot down your theory's as all you guys did was conduct controlled experiments in a lab using max effects to obtain results.
Obviously you never studied Newtons Law in your physics class the one that says "For every Action there's A equal Opposite Reaction"
IUnlike yourselves I dont leave myself open 2B picked on & mayebe the 2 of you can tell us all chemicals come out in a persons urine or what acids etc food contains cause I'm a bit of a dummy didn't go to University.
Those 2 things cause a fair bit of corrosion around the galley & Toilet areas of aircraft then again I dont think Uni would've taught you that like I said your best teacher is hands on expirience not what you read in a bloody book.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 8:14:34 PM
They aren't my theories, they are fact.

I did study newtons law, the way it relates to this subject is that during galvanic corrosion, one metal will lose electrons (the anode) while the other will gain electrons (the cathode)... equal, yet opposite reactions buddy, I dare you to shoot down that theory... I am waiting.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 8:49:37 PM
1st of all this topic started out as Polycraft plastic boats I wasn't the one cra****ing on abput alloy boats I merely jumped in after the cr*p browny posted & for someone who claims to have a university degree he wasn't to bright when he laid the carpet on his skids was he ?????????????????

And you wanted to criticise my expirience with alloy but still haven't answered my Q have you did you miss that class @ Uni or didn't you think it was rellevant ???????????

Never mind I'll still answer your's the only cure for corrosion is a good attempt in prevention simple as that depending on the Alloys composition will depetermine how resiliant it will be to corrosion thats why there's Alloy, Marine Alloy, & Some you wouldn't have a clue about & to expensive for the boat market.
Paint is a insulator to corrosion, Sacrificial anode's are another. Teflon or Teflon tape works a treat there are a few more as well

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 9:02:21 PM
mate you are rambling now, I didn't ask for a cure for corrosion - that is easy stuff, you said you would shoot down my theories, please point out anything that I or brownp have stated that are wrong.

I know plenty about alloys and their use in aircraft, I have studied them and I can talk all day about 2024, 6061, 7075, Al-clad aluminium sheeting and their properties and corrosion resistance - I wouldn't have bought into this debate otherwise! If you want I can also educate you on the best types of anodizing for aluminium to prevent corrosion if Al-clad ain't your thing, but you did your apprenticeship so you probably already know.

I am not sure what chemicals are in piss or food, I don't care, as it is not an example of galvanic corrosion.

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 9:18:02 PM
quote:
that is easy stuff, you said you would shoot down my theories

Very Simply to answer

IT'S NOT YOUR BLOODY THEORY IS IT ????????????????????????????????

And when I started critising it it was not the theory but the way it was portrayed

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 9:26:54 PM
So why did you say before that they were mine? lol please don't answer that!~~~.... I try to stay out of topics I have NFI about, you should try to do the same to avoid such useless bouts like this, good day to you! Signing out!

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 9:49:03 PM
Actually I'm sick of this arguement myself but I will answer your Q again.
You backed brownp not the theory that got me going but the way it was presented to everyone as evidence everybody with a Alloy boat would see them corode away to dust.
Then you went on to say what the hell does Jumpus know he worked on aircraft & not boats so he knows nothing.
Well let me tell you if some of the boatbuilders had a better understanding about corrosion then you'd see better quality boats

Reply author: hazza
Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 10:26:19 PM
I'm not going to try and compete with you guys on Theories.
But I know for a fact that the majority of aluminium brought
into the country or imported by individual businesses is CRAP.
5052 coil sheeting that is most commonly used by Aus builder
is second rate and it's a cause for many failures cracks/corrosion.
Alloy made from Aus/South Africa/France/Malaysia etc is different
from one to another.
5083H116/7 Aus/France made is bullet proof.
Does Aus still make anything?

Hazza

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 11:04:21 PM
Actually hazza I dont think so just about eveything is imported these days it's more profitable for BHP.
They export the raw minerals then import it back in large coils I didn't use much aluminium worked with Stainless & the price used to go up & down like a yoyo @ times unless things have changed most of our S/S comes from spain.
Haven't you noticed the record profits BHP has been making

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 11:40:52 PM
So after all the discussion can anybody come up with a centre console boat 5.99 mtr long (actually 6.1 mtr long if measured the same way as most boats) 200 ltr fuel, floats upright if swamped , handles well, is fitted with a suitable 4 stroke motor, duel axel trailer and is under $37,500 new ?

Replied on: 18 Dec 2006 11:55:06 PM
Dreamin,

You forgot to mention 'will never corrode'.

Reply author: dave22
Replied on: 19 Dec 2006 01:17:21 AM
Does anyone no what grade Quintrex use, is it a inferior quality import from China and the like, or

is it Australian made ? And in the grading scale for Aluminium boats for eg, how do they stack up

against the plate brigade, i know they use a lower grade but i can't seem to remember what it is .

Replied on: 19 Dec 2006 05:17:43 AM
dreamin I actually did see such a boat a couple of months back it was being fitted up with Suzuki @ the time @ the place I got my donks from.
The owner had purchased the hull & trailer elsewhere it was a large tinny not a plate boat floor was up I jumped in to have a sticky beak personally I would not buy one looked nice but it was built to budget underfloor plasic fuel tank prob not a bad thing but they used polystyrene as the flotation cant see that lasting to long small tinny's have that fitted up under the seats but @ least it's up high & away from fuel or other chemical that may eat it away.

By the way the boat was built in Taiwan or one of those countries built to budget so prob start seeing a few around.

dave22 not even the manufacter stessel would know they buy the materials from a wholesaler who could have batch's coming in from anywhere I have no idea how much if any alluminium is actually made here believe a fair bit comes in from NZ but you'll find extruded lengths are made here most likely using recyled stuff.

brownp good to see you're being a TWIT again you do it so well

Replied on: 19 Dec 2006 05:32:29 AM
Fellas how about you give the personal crap a rest. Debate the qualities of metal V plastic all you like but be respectfull of each others views,
or Ill lock it.

Replied on: 19 Dec 2006 4:08:41 PM
Dont be a party pooper Dingo we're allowed to have some fun along the way aren't we ????????

As a matter of fact browny has got a point & I'm looking into a Polycraft 4 myself there's some good deals going on @ present like with every boat purchased in the next month you get 2 birds in the yard

Insert Image:

27.54 KB

Life was never meant 2B hard so they're chucking in some wet weather gear as well

Insert Image:

33.57 KB

Replied on: 19 Dec 2006 5:15:01 PM
HAHAHA!!

im going to buy a timber boat!!

Replied on: 20 Dec 2006 8:43:07 PM
In the end ... at 5.99M I'd go plate aluminium (5mm).... possibly a center cab as it offers both cover & the maneuverability + there are some nice boats on the market at the moment..... & poly do not produce one!
NAGG

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 06:03:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NAGG

In the end ... at 5.99M I'd go plate aluminium (5mm).... possibly a center cab as it offers both cover & the maneuverability + there are some nice boats on the market at the moment..... & poly do not produce one!
NAGG

Agree with you there Nagg, but would be adding the word Cat

Now you have informed us of the cons, can we leave the poly issue behind? Would hate to see this degenate further and be spread across the forums...would be a shame to lose your opinions....

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 06:40:44 AM
If poly is off the menu then I would get a glass boat (GRP is form of plastic anyway)! Plate boats are very expensive and still don't match the ride of a good glass boat. A soft ride is very important where I fish as the seas off Sydney are seldomly calm. Glass = class.

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 09:02:23 AM
Here we go again
Mr KnowItAll how many plate boats have you fished out of to be able to make such a claim ??????????
Tell me something in a average days fishing how much time is spent motoring to a destination opposed to time spent @ anchor or on the drift ??
There's another thread floating around here discussing Alloy oppesed to glass & I think one post there cant remember who sumed it up nicely the ride depends on the angle of the V elsewhere in another thread there was another cickamani suggestion that alloy boats cant be built with the same angle's as glass boats I for one would like to know where the hell you guys get your information from ???

Speaking of Hell. Hellraiser's new boat was featured in some of those arguements & O'm not out to knock the boat been out in the hull myself which by the way was designed as a offshore racer put it on achor/drift & it's a different story any sort of sea & it woddles from side to side I was talking to a mate who currently owns one the other dar day & he confirm this as well.

My opinion on alloy boats & the tinny's is that are designed as a fishing platfoem not a race boat & they all follow basically the same design do recall a mates alloy plate boat years ago think it was a Whippet now that boat had the deep V & rode accordingly a huge improvement on his previos glass boat a marlin billfisher fished with him for a couple of years & thinking about it dont know why I dont have severe back problems that boat was a horror not 2 metion how bad it used to broch.
My Alloy for example handles all that gets thrown @ it may not carve up the ocean like say Hellraiser's or similar but there's a mile of room in it no probs if 3 guys are are on one side handling a big fish neary has the stability of a Shark Cat use's F**** all fuel esp with the new 4 strokes, Tows like a dream dont need a truck to pull it key factor though is You always feel safe in it.

Getting to largeer boats & just thought I'd rub it in to you Glass lovers What material was used in Richard Branson's boat when claimed the Trans Atlantic Record here's a clue not the failed Glass boats which cracked up under pressure & who recalls Australia 11 in the America's Cup splitting in 2 & sinking to the bottom wasn't that glass ??

A good boat irrellevant of materials used is one you're happy with if it suits your needs then it's a good boats what I cant handle is those people who use the same old boring line "alloy Boats Bang" all I've got to say to you guys put me behind the wheel of a glass boat & I'll show you what BANGING is all about I've fished out of alot of glass boats even owned a couple 18ft Cat & 23ft Carrabean & in all honesty I'd rather have my current Alloy plate boat anyday because it's a good boat

Reply author: Trim
Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 11:03:12 AM
Careful Jumpus -we would nt want to get any glass fibre infection!

A small correction to your last post

"& who recalls Australia 11 in the America's Cup splitting in 2 & sinking to the bottom wasn't that glass ?? "

Mate Australia 2 won the America s Cup in 83, remember the Silver Budgie said

"Any Boss who sacks an employee for not being @ work is a BUM!!!" or words to that effect.

The boat your talking about was AUSTRALIA 3- JUST A SMALL DIFFERENCE- (Ben Lexcen just rolled over in his grave!!) fibreglass and Kevla- and too much Kevla is not a good thing!!!

AUSTRALIA 2 now resides in the W.A.Maritime Museum after we finally got it back from you Sydney Siders. It sits next to a fibreglass boat(yacht) of a guy called Jon Sanders ( not Capt KFC).
The name of that fibreglass yacht is called Pierre Banou and its famous for a double AND triple circumnavigation of the globe single handed. Given that fact I would sugest that Fibreglass is pretty handy in the open water!!!
Mate I ve read your posts for some time now and can only suggest that YOU REALLY LOVE ALI- nothing wrong with that. Just as much as others really love their glass or poly!!!! Whatever cranks your handle - keep at it though because it makes for a good read and talkin fishin/boats is the next best thing to doin!

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 11:33:37 AM
Well I knew it was one off the Australia boats & it was a long time ago never had ant interest in sailing boats but watched that event helped when the boss I worked for @ the time was comadoor of some sailing club & would take us down the pub to watch the reces years later sorta hung around with one one crew from the winning team & didn't even know till his bucks day which was aboard a 69 ft sailboat.
Funny thing though you'd laugh your head off if you saw the shed those boats were built in nothing high tech abought them & the sheds they were stored in were even worse just down the road from where I worked @ Balmain.

As far as Kevla goes recall all the stuffups when they started building the shark Cats with it they were cracking keft right & centre.

Mate it's not a matter that "I REALLY LOVE ALI" I've been on many a good glass boats as well Alloy just suits me the best for many reasons including the one that I fing it easy to work with or modify.
I haven't rubbish any of the othe materials types in ways some have the Alloy boat & personally O think those who have dont have a clue & never been on one so how can they go around commenting all they've done is echo Alloy bangs cause someone else told them so well I've got news for them glass boats bang as well.

As far as the plastic boats go well what can I say ??
They're OK as tenders to get out to the real boats & thats just about it.

Reply author: Trim
Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 11:55:25 AM
Jumpus -no worries with me cobba - I ll fish off anything to catch fish anyday as opposed to goin to work. Keep up the posting it does make for a good read and a differing outlook on things.
Hairy Missus for Monday- Trim

Reply author: Barry Mundi
Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 11:58:25 AM
Mate,

You're drawing a long bow to use things like the failed hull on Australia 3 as an example of fibreglass.

Those sort of things are out on a limb and built with weight reduction in mind, and yes, sometimes they push the envelope a bit too far

But besides that, how many examples of alloy boat failures do you want me to post up ? or isn't there any ?

For me I have a plate alloy for bumping around the mangroves, rocky headlands & occasioanal off shore, but if I decide to go bigger and predominately off shore, it would be glass all the way

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 12:32:26 PM
All I did was give a far fetched example with Bransons boat & Australia 111 incident dont think anyone uses such boats to go out fishing in & I only threw those examples in because of the comments others have made in regards to Alloy boats.

Tell me have you ever been out offshore in a big Alloy game boat ???
The main difference between boats in that size is alloys are alot rarer I owned a 11 meter Alloy game boat fished on others like big alloy cats also fished avbord alot of big glass boats as well & I can tell you a 35 bertram comes down with a big thud just as well as a Alloy boat just a different type of noise thats all both are very capable of giving you jar in the old spine have no worries about that.

Reply author: Barry Mundi
Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 12:46:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpus GooDarus

Tell me have you ever been out offshore in a big Alloy game boat ???

Several, and glass ones. Some good, some not.

The bottom line is, I'd choose a big glass boat for offshore use over a big plate boat (and no amount of internet haggling would change my mind about that ).

I really don't care what others would choose. It's a free world

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 1:18:26 PM
That's fair enough I'd go with one as well if I were staying out overnight alot more comforts aboard when I did mine up it was meant as a fishing boat & lacked alot of the comforts most Big glass boats have as standard feature but as a fishing platform I'd go with the one I had double the fishing room of any glass boat in it's size

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 5:16:51 PM
Jumpus,

The problem with the Marlin Billfisher is that although it is a fiberglass boat the hull shape is that of an aluminium boat! It was Ross Hunter's first effort at boat building and it looks like he just copied the design of the Quintrex Cruisabout he used to own.

PS I have been out in a 7m Predator plate alloy boat and it was very hard riding. I know some plate builder are making improvements in ride quality with innovative designs, eg Noble Super V, Bar Crusher etc.

Replied on: 21 Dec 2006 5:58:49 PM
I've known Ross for ages & dont worry I've given him some stick about what used 2B his his boats dont forget Ross was no boat builder he's a Fridge Mechanic by trade & thats one of the points I've made along the way you get these peeps going from one trade to another not really understanding the materials they are working with I cant justify this thats why I've said not all Alloy boats ride the same as far as I'm concerned both the billfisher I used to fish out of & a couple of broadbills that I've driven were cows & no match for the original Bruce Harris Sharkcat.

Haven't been out in a Predator know a couple of peeps who own them prefer to fish my own boat but think his name is Steve haven't seen him for a few years he was one of the 2 partners who started up Predator prior to that he owned Condoor Marine & was building Alloys Cats untill Ross started legal proceedings against him see he used to work for Ross & Ross claimed he stole his designs.
Used to run into Steve back in the old days @ the ramp in his orange coloured cat not a bad looking boat thought it was better finished that the broadbills never went out for a ride so cant comment on it's handling
Got told recently Predator sold out to new owners dont know if it's true or not.

Dont know where you got your information about the Marlin Billfisher from but Quintrex never had a boat that big in there range back then pretty sure the Cruisabout well after the billfisher but I could be wrong either way if what you say is true just goes to show that hull shape worked well on the tinny but I can tell you it was a pig of a boat in glass wasn't a best seller prob cause word had gotten around about it's performance.

Reply author: Jaybo
Replied on: 29 Dec 2006 1:43:59 PM
quote:

Jumpus, I said the sand contains metals (ie minerals). Many a nigger fisherman has corroded his boat by putting wet sand he uses to mix his burley inside his boat.

Also note that the corrosion was on the OUTSIDE of the boat, EXACTLY where the skids were and nowhere else. The tinnie was a 2000 model and only 18 mths old.

Regarding ridiculous remarks it Naag who is presenting the ultimate worst case scenario about poly boats so why don't you go after him.

Polycraft sales seem to be doing quite well as far as I can see. The number of dealers in Sydney is expanding and they are a regular sight on our waterways. I even saw one on Shady Camp Billabong in the NT a few months ago.

Just reading this thread and thought that I could shed a bit of light on the alloy boat with corrosion on the hull where carpet bunks were supporting an unpainted hull. Although the observed result (corrosion) is correct the cause (galvanic corrosion) is not. This is a common problem in science where one finds a result and then looks for a cause (metal sand?).

The cause (I believe)was poultice corrosion. This form of corrosion happens when a wet, absorbent material is held up against an uncoated aluminum alloy. Without getting too technical the moisture can become oxygen depleted and the metal in contact with this depleted oxygen water becomes an anode. The adjacent metal becomes cathodic and a cell and corrosion occurs. This sort of corrosion can be seen frequently when water saturated foam is held against an aluminum alloy fuel tank.

One other small point...

Gent also said in another post that an aluminum alloy boat in saltwater with steel present in the same saltwater was a galvanic cell. Untrue - unless the two metals are electrically connected (touching each other or connected by a wire)or there is stray current in the water (which would be electrolytic corrosion and require no steel)there is no cell.

If this was true than your car battery would run down immediately as it is two dissimilar metals in an electrolyte. Current only flows when the two different metals are electrically connected by completing a circuit (electrical connection).

As a disclaimer - I own and run an aluminum alloy boat company here in the US and have studied corrosion extensively. I mean no one ill will and have enjoyed reading this site for quite some time.

I love Australia - as a former US Marine if I was in a foxhole I'd be happy to have an Aussie next to me..

Replied on: 29 Dec 2006 3:23:53 PM
Regarding the moored boat, yes the aluminium boat has to be touching the steel boat or steel object to form a galvanic cell (by "moored next to" read touching). It can happen within the boat also when different metal are present eg steel fittings in a aluminium boat.

Electrolytic corrosion can be more of a problem with moored alloy boats as there can be a lot of stray current present in some ports and harbours.

Replied on: 29 Dec 2006 5:54:39 PM
Phil give it up, again you're grasping to straws & this is another good example

quote:
Electrolytic corrosion can be more of a problem with moored alloy boats as there can be a lot of stray current present in some ports and harbours

I owned an 11 meter Alloy moored boat & no such thing happened mind you I went through a few sacrificial anodes but that's a small price to pay I even have sacrificial anodes on both current Alloy boats & they live on trailers.

Just about everybody with an Alloy boat who does have corrosion issues anly have themselves to blame including me thats why I had to rebuild my tub left it sitting there for years unused use I was using the moored boat & prior to that everything I did to it was always in a rush & not done properly I reckon t will good orte next 20 yers cause this time I took my time & did things properly.

If you have a valid point on your fantastic plastc then make it, dont go around criticising other materia boats esp f you cant backup your claims.

From what Ive seen on this board there's alot of Alloy boat owners & I dont see to many of the bagging their rides & over the years I've seen more & more of them on the water they are a proven product that cant be said about he PolywantAcrackers.

Replied on: 29 Dec 2006 6:59:27 PM
Jumpus,

Jaybo mentioned current in the water can cause electrolysis. I can back it up to:

http://www.yachting-life.net/new%20index/frames3/electrol_frame.htm

This page covers the sources of corrosion in aluminium yachts. Marinas can be a problem due to electrical activity from dock power and other boats. Automotive style battery chargers can also cause corrosion. Stern drives are particulary vulnerable also, (Mercury has a section covering it).

Replied on: 29 Dec 2006 7:42:24 PM
Mate again you're grasping to straws

Fine some of what you say does happen if you neglect your boat then you deserve it but again you're going to extremes & no different to me saying if I were to put a polycraft out in the simpson desert in a garage made of glass it would elt in 2 weeks see you're not the only one who can come up with stupid senario's I can do it to.

Here's another more realistic senario
2 fishermen each but a new car say holden to tow their boats with, local ramp is crappy & have to submerge pat of the car into the salt water each time they launch & retrieve boats
One of the fishermen was fastigeous always washing the salt from the car etc etc
The other fesherman didn't give a sh*t never washed it neglected repairs his dog urinated on the alloy rims which had seen their fair share of gutter bashing.

12 months later he starts telling everyone holdens are cr*p bla bla bla & goes off to buy a ford.
How long do you think the ford will last ?????????

Mate you sound like the 2nd fisherman through you're own ommision you laid carpet on your skids whether you couldn't afford it or didn't want to spend the money on nylon skids who knows but you're quick to knock the tinny's

Replied on: 29 Dec 2006 8:16:07 PM
Jumpus,

I put carpet on my skids because the old skid arms were rusted on and I didn't have access to an angle grinder. Plus it was an old trailer with an angle shaped cross bar and it was hard to attach new skid arms. I didn't foresee the corrosion problem, obviously.

I don't have it in for tinnies but I do think that the poly's are a bit more low maintainence and problem free. I went for the 4.1m poly more so because it was a bit cheaper than an equivalent tinnie (a factor since its my 2nd boat) and it performs better than similar sized tinnies I have been in. Its more stable at rest (important for lure fishing) and softer riding as well. They are more easier to fit out as well with respect to rod holders, livebait tanks, electric motors etc.

Replied on: 29 Dec 2006 9:36:58 PM
That's all you needed to say not the crap you've been dishing out & you wondered why people were having a go @ you.

Personally I would never ever think about owning a Polycraft but thats me I'd go Alloy then glass evey time had both & lost count of how many {figure of speech] back when I used to fish on other people's boats all glass boats mind you saw a Alloy Plate boat down the coast fishing a place called The Banks it belong to a bloke by the name of Andy Hurst @ the time I was fishing a shark cat & Andy's boat would leave us for dead think he called it Redfin the boat was a Star built in WA & I knew one day I'd have one not the case but next best thing bacically same design built in WA by guys who worked for Star.

I've had big glass boats prior to this one but mainly tinny's this was the 1st 1/2 decent size one bought the hull only & did it up that was 20 odd years ago & I still see it around the bay

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1663/esrayhp6.jpg

Like to see what a Poly looks like after 20 years ?????

Next pic of a boat is my favourite one of all of the ones I've owned had it over 15 years now mind you it just got a facelift used to look like Dingo's ithout the pod just a bit bigger bigger.

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/2601/jeepfn2.jpg

Thought about selling it when I got the bigger Alloy but the wankers who rolled to look @ it ? well I told them to go away time wasters looking for a bargain.

Next Enter the Dragon only bought it for hull & motors just a hardtop @ the time cut everything from the gunnels up away & a small fortune later

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/9544/back5gw.jpg

Did this one up a few years backjust a plain 4.8 meter tinny no transon no gunnels just a plain tinny with 3 bench seats riveted to the hull, wanted to do a trip around Oz which didn't eventuate but still have it only started using it recently good inside estuaries & since I've just started playing around with SP's spent the day chopping off the tubework on the consol

The reason I posted these pics & a bit of info was to show what can be done on Alloy boats & the same can be done to glass I cant see that happening to Polycraft or any other plastic boat without having to worry about stiffeing o strengthening the hull or can I see anymajor mods happening either.

Reply author: polylover
Replied on: 09 Jan 2007 5:51:33 PM
hi guys this is my first posting.new members.i am not sure that i should be replying to this thread as i am a one eyed poly owner.
the poly is our third boat.it was purchased with particular areas in mind.it didnt matter the material it was made of.number one and most important was it had to be very stable at rest as my wife hates a boat that lists when moving around when fishing(sea sick).number two it had to fit our budget.after testing several boats of different materials the poly came out way in front on both stability and price.we have now owned the boat 2years and have not regretted the choice
p.s i read in one of the replys a question of resale and have been offered more than i paid for it by a chap who was insistant on buying the boat.

Replied on: 09 Jan 2007 9:59:56 PM
quote:
p.s i read in one of the replys a question of resale and have been offered more than i paid for it by a chap who was insistant on buying the boat.

I find that VERY VERY VERY hard to believe go back & do your sums & you'll find it cost you a hell of alot more than you think.
Esp once you start adding up all the accesseries.

Reply author: Felix
Replied on: 10 Jan 2007 11:41:26 AM
maybe this thread should be archived, & in 10-12 years time, when actual poly boats have been around for a while, we can seek opinions then.
i personally don't have an opinion as i feel they have not been in mass production long enough for me to form one.

anyone, no matter whether a politician, a greenie, a poly/ali/glass boat owner can write up statistics etc, which are true & can support their case 100%.

so i don't care what is said, i wouldn't buy one untill they have been around for a long time & proven they are as good as stated..
oh, & mentioning garbage bins etc. is only part of the spin that can be applied, they are not boats & don't go in saltwater..

they may well be as good as stated, they may be crap..time will tell.. my 2 cents worth..

Replied on: 10 Jan 2007 12:50:15 PM
Felix,

Polyethylene boats have in fact been around for more than 10 years. About 10 years ago they became popular in the US. Also they have been around over 30 years as yacht tenders.

Your argument implies that if you buy a fiberglass or alloy boat then you won't have any problems. This is simply not the case as problems are quite common. The balance of evidence suggests that poly boats will be more trouble free.

Reply author: Felix
Replied on: 10 Jan 2007 1:29:24 PM
will still wait untill they have been around in Aust for a fair while..
30 years in the states, why so long to catch on here if they are that good??
it's all part of the spin..

Reply author: im412
Replied on: 10 Jan 2007 10:44:19 PM
alls not rosy in america
http://groups.msn.com/boatersimfo/triumphboats.msnw?albumlist=2

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=127280&start=1&highlight=triumph&highlightmode=1

Replied on: 10 Jan 2007 11:19:52 PM
I had a look at the links. The photos don't come with much of an explanation, and what is written doesn't match what is shown in the photos. Eg the "crack and split" look very much like a shallow & easy to fix gourge. Aslo the split across the hull looks very much like a ridge and a manufacturing fault (hence covered by warranty).

The second link is a forum very much like this one. Plenty of defenders and some knockers calling them 'tupperware boats' etc. Someone mentioned hull sagging, but acknowledged that this will only happen if they are not stored correctly (ie on the recommended trailer).

Replied on: 10 Jan 2007 11:27:05 PM
Does that mean no carpet on tbe trailer ??

Or do you have to spend the money that you saved + extra $$$'s & build them their very own garage whilst your car sits out in the street weathering the elements ??

Replied on: 11 Jan 2007 12:08:24 AM
Jumpus,

With a poly (unlike alloy) you can have carpet on your trailer to your hearts content!

Regarding UV stability I read that thickness of the polyethylene is a big factor. The 4.1 meter poly is 1cm thick, this increases up to 2cm for the 6m model.

PS. I have a double carport and my car and poly sit side by side. If it was in the open I would throw a cover over it just to be sure about UV deterioration. I wouldn't hurt to keeps leaves and prying eyes/ light fingers out also.

Replied on: 11 Jan 2007 12:39:49 AM
Haven't you learnt yet when I'm pulling your leg
You're a easy one to bait only wish I could get the fish to bite like that

Replied on: 11 Jan 2007 7:50:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

alls not rosy in america
http://groups.msn.com/boatersimfo/triumphboats.msnw?albumlist=2

http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=127280&start=1&highlight=triumph&highlightmode=1

im412...... Nice to see my comments used in the US I'm surprised to see how bad some of the warpage was!..... Something I noticed was that the polyowners here have more passion than their US counterparts .....NAGG
PS Imagine the argument you could have with a Polyowner who runs a Suzuki

Replied on: 11 Jan 2007 8:09:10 PM
Na Na Na a suzuki is no good
You need a Mitsubishi not so Squishy

Replied on: 11 Jan 2007 8:27:37 PM
so andy handy you dont like polys. lets face it you got to have your head in a very dark place
p.s if i still had the email address of the bloke who wanted to buy t

he boat i would send it to you.mrs.p get a life.
p.s if you think you are the only one to go fishing think again because this old sheila of 55 loves fishing nearly as much as sex.why do you think the old man is always smiling.

Replied on: 11 Jan 2007 8:44:41 PM
I neither like or dislike the PolyWantAcrackers never been in one nor have any intentions of doing so.

I only entered this thread because instead of talking up a PolyWantAcrackers good features somebody decided to bad mouth &post crap about Alloy boats which I might add are a proven material.

Now getting back to you well what can I say except you're either trying to take advantage of that old guy or you're throwing in a blow up doll so he can both fish & have sex @ the same time

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 08:53:05 AM
this time u got the old man and knot my lady.
much thought went into the bying of this boat all most 12 months to be honest and the poly did come out on top.
at 8600 b.m.T.+1100 for raido @ sounder we could bought cheaper in an alley boat but could get as good a ride.
by the way motor is a 30hp aquish lol allways thought thay aspro clears

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 09:26:32 AM
So far I have not heard one decent arguement in favour of the PolyWantAcrackers except that they are cheap& thats a poor excuse.

Well in my books you get what you pay for.

polylover how could you possibly argue a better ride a 30 hp on the back

Well I could probally paddle a canoe quicker than your boat will go & you're claiming a better ride

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 09:39:32 AM
It sounds like he has a 4.1m poly. I have a 30hp on this model and it is plenty fast enough for a tiller steer (24.5 knots at WOT).

I don't think you have been in a poly, Jumpus. The advantages are softer ride than a tinnie, more stable at rest and underway, lower maintainence and easier to fit out.

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 11:34:09 AM
some people have a closed mind.if we all thought like you it would be a dull world.and no he doesnt need a rubber doll to have sex.
if i could haved paddled a canoe faster i would haved saved the money and brought a canoe.mrs.p

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 1:20:34 PM
I'm got a very open mind just think you guys aren't realistic

For starters browny I gather you have a GPS on board your little poly in order to make such a claim or are you using one of those paddle wheels found on sounders to get your reading ??

polylover in regards to your claim about your PolyWantAcracker being a more comfortable ride how did you come to this assumption when your arse is planted @ the stern of the boat operating the tiller ?

It's the softest riding part of the boat I've got news for you all boats bang, thump etc whether glass, Alloy or plastic & your running around in a 4 meter plastic thing in enclosed waters claiming it rides better

Well I dont think so& just as well he dosen't need a rubber doll cause on a hot day the doll would melt into the boat & he would have no sex @ all

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 2:30:46 PM
thanks for bring up the subject of melt down fire is a major concern however i beleave a fire hot enough to melt a poly will seriously damage all other typs of bilding materials that said i will continue to enjoy my polly.
back to the subject of ride.
my wife @ i were able to test an ally edge tracker on the same day as the poly. i think the better ride comes from heavier hull of the poly at 264kg against 126kg for the edge tracker

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 2:51:21 PM
Jumpus,

I have a handheld GPS, thats how I got the 24.5 knot figure. Enclosed waters can get rough too. I'd rather be out on Botany Bay in my poly than a similar sized tinny. The poly hull is designed to flex a bit when hitting the waves which is a factor which contributes to the soft ride.

Replied on: 13 Jan 2007 9:59:05 PM
brownp - Gotta jump in here dude .... with regard to the flex properties , that may not be such a good thing for polyethylene (take a polyethylene ... anything .... & continually flex it .... eventually you end up with stress whitening & eventually breaking) Now I don't know if there is enough flex to cause such a problem ... but it would concern me in a heavy offshore boat crashing through waves .... when you a relying on the flexural properties to impart the ride characteristics (Yes this can eventually crack an Alloy too) .... but regardless of what anyone says ....... YOU CANNOT EFFECTIVELY WELD POLYETHYLENE once it splits! NAGG

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 05:39:53 AM
Dunno where you blokes get the energy from? It's like doin' a marathon round your clothesline......

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 08:07:45 AM
Naag,

These Polycraft are very thick - 2cm for the 6m model - so any flexing is slight and will not fatigue the plastic. Polyethylene actually has very good flexing characteristics. That what makes it five times more impact resistant than fiberglass.

Reply author: Fed
Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 08:38:41 AM
quote:
The poly hull is designed to flex a bit when hitting the waves which is a factor which contributes to the soft ride.

You have got to be making this stuff up.

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 09:28:21 AM
Fed, from the Polycraft website:

"The ride characteristics of a Polycraft boat compared to an aluminium boat have to be experienced to be believed. The low density Polyethylene used in the manufacturing process is designed to be flexible enhancing the on water performance of the hull by flexing and absorbing wave impacts and noise into the hull and not the passengers. This creates a smooth quite ride that is unique to Polycraft boats."

I don't think that Polycraft is making this up seeing that I have one. I can vouch that you can sense the slight flexing and softer ride.

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 10:12:59 AM
It sounds like something they have made up to explain the hull flexing.
I'd take a lot of convincing otherwise.
We all know heavy deep vee hulls ride the softest but then you have to tow them & power them.
Everything's a compromise with boat hulls.

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 10:24:58 AM
No Fed, they are designed to flex a bit. If they wanted to make them rigid they could have used high density polyethylene. Also they have supports in the form of disks where the inner hull is welded to the outer hull. These are a bit like stringers in a fiberglass boat. If they wanted to make the boats more rigid then they would have used more of these disks.

With the flexing in the hull you get more of a 'best of both worlds' situation. Ie with the 4.1 model you have an extremely stable boat for lure fishing that still has a softer ride than a V - bottomed tinny.

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 10:38:14 AM
Sorry mate I'm not convinced, it sounds like marketing hype to me.
The important thing is that you're happy with your boat eh?

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 10:53:44 AM
Well I went from a V bottomed tinnie to the 4.1 poly so I can comment from experience. Yes, I'm happy with my poly, I think its the perfect boat for my 'inside' fishing.

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 11:06:05 AM
I still think your soft ride over a tinny is due to your hull weight & shape, vee bottomed tinnys are still pretty flat.

Replied on: 14 Jan 2007 11:19:13 AM
The weight doesn't hurt the ride of a poly thats for sure. But if you look at the hull shape of the 4.1 it is actually quite a shallow V. It differs from a tinie in that it has mini sponsons on the sides, hence the improved stability. The larger models are only moderate V also.

Reply author: NQCairns
Replied on: 16 Jan 2007 11:34:53 PM
Gee this is an epic! I went for a joyride in the 6m poly with 140zuk when it was doing the rounds. I have been in heaps of glass boats and many aluminium rides but only this one polly.

The day was rough and the poly did the job better than anything but very deep V glass, looking down the gunnel as the boat dropped into the next wave and threw water everywhere the boat physicaly shook and flexed to a degree that if it were glass or alloy I would be grabing a lifejacket quicksmart.

I have jsut bought a new aluminium 6m boat but chose against the poly due to future uncertainly as I will be keeping this boat for 15 years or so I expect + trailering constraints I cannot abide.

The poly was wet (quite) also but the ride due to weight and the considerable flex was not exraordinary but a definate surprise to say the least.

cheers nqcairns

Replied on: 17 Jan 2007 05:57:18 AM
Quick! It's dying down...poke em with a stick

Replied on: 17 Jan 2007 10:40:15 AM
so pinkin would u by one if u can ever wear out the twin fisher

Replied on: 17 Jan 2007 1:41:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fed

I still think your soft ride over a tinny is due to your hull weight & shape, vee bottomed tinnys are still pretty flat.

You are very correct there Ed

Tinny's & Plate boats are designed with one purpose in mind

A FISHING PLATFORM

I'm with you in thinking comments about the PolyCracker boats have flexability purposely build into them are a load of hogwash.

I'm no expert on plastic but know enough it all flex's esp when it's had heat applied & a day out in the sun most definately can do this irrellevent whether the temp of the water is cooling it down.

browny you mentioned high density plastic
What's density have to do with rigidness ?
Cause that's the only way you'll stop the flex & if you added rigidness or tensile strength to the PolyCracker's then they wouls definately start cracking up left, right & centre.

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 06:22:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by polylover

so pinkin would u by one if u can ever wear out the twin fisher

No. Cat man forever me.

Certainly have reccomended em for a look to blokes around here that just fish the dams though, price is hard to beat.

At the risk of being involved in this marathon of idiocy though...one of the things i have said to people before is in direct contradiction to one leg of the supporters claim to fame. That is, i can't see how a full skinned hull can be called easy to fit out!
How do you fit a rod holder (for eg) to the sidedeck securely when you can't get your hand in there to put an oversised washer and a nut on the bolts?
What do ya do, just put self tappers into the plastic?

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 08:31:49 AM
Punkin,

You answered your own question! Self tappers are fine for most fitting. The plastic gets a tight grip on the thread and its not likely to let go. I spoke to someone who saw a demonstration of car being lifted off the ground that was held by two self tappers into a piece of polyethlene!

All my fittings were done with self tappers. The poly is easly to drill through and the screws easy to screw in. No worries about fiberglass dust or dissimilar metal causing corrosion.

If you wanted to use nuts and bolts you still can. There are nuts and bolts available with plastic attachments designed to go into cavities (ie where you can't access the bolt).

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 4:51:18 PM
quote:

Punkin,

You answered your own question! Self tappers are fine for most fitting. The plastic gets a tight grip on the thread and its not likely to let go. I spoke to someone who saw a demonstration of car being lifted off the ground that was held by two self tappers into a piece of polyethlene!

All my fittings were done with self tappers. The poly is easly to drill through and the screws easy to screw in. No worries about fiberglass dust or dissimilar metal causing corrosion.

If you wanted to use nuts and bolts you still can.

Most on here would say i overengineer i spose
But i'll be buggered if i'd self tapper a rod holder in, let alone a cutting board, grab rail or rocket launcher.

quote:
There are nuts and bolts available with plastic attachments designed to go into cavities (ie where you can't access the bolt).

Surely you aren't talking about drywall screws and spring toggles and other assorted nickel plated hardware?

Only way i'd mount stuff in one of those is cut access ports in the side of em and use stainless nylock nuts and large washers. Same as alloy or fibreglass.

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 5:06:26 PM
There are stainless steel nuts and bolts available for cavities Punkin. You don't need washers because the 'nut' is a rectagular piece and spreads the load over a large area. They are not nylon coated but you can alway put threadlocker on them.

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 5:55:15 PM
Each to their own.

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 8:01:22 PM
quote:

There are stainless steel nuts and bolts available for cavities Punkin. You don't need washers because the 'nut' is a rectagular piece and spreads the load over a large area. They are not nylon coated but you can alway put threadlocker on them.

Well if you had any common sense about how to spread load over a larger area browny is to sandwich the fantastic plastic with a backing plate using nuts & bolts & not self tapers.

Not having a go @ you just telling you how to do it correctly.

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 8:15:33 PM
I don't think you have been following the thread Jumpus. We were talking about how you can fit things when you don't have access to the inside surface of the poly.

I didn't mention what I have been fitting either. I my boat there was no need for backing plates or even nuts and bolts - I just used self tappers to fit sounders, rod holders (its an estuary boat so I'm not fishing that heavy), and storage bins. I mounted a couple of those clamp on rod holders towards the bow more or less horizontally. I clipped the wharf coming in the other day with the rod holder and all it did was put a good bend in one of the tapping screws. It didn't pull out of the poly or affect it in any way!

Replied on: 18 Jan 2007 10:51:02 PM
Yeah I followed it but you're not the only one who owns a Poly Cracker.

Either way I still wouldn't recomend using self tapers they are a mugs fastener & as punkin mention not worthy of securing a cutting board down.

I pondered for nearly a week as to the best way to secure the teflon skids to my trailer when I rebuilt everything recently ended up maching a 3mm recess into the teflon to accomidate a 40mm washer to which I welded a piece of 8 mm threaded rod then the centre of the reccess in the teflon was drilled & taped to accomidate the thread so as there was no play cause I drive the boat on & off the trailer.
So as not to have the stainless come in contact with the Alloy hull I topped up the reccess with urathane.

Same with the cutting board I drilled holes & taped them with a coarse thead & used bolts to suit.

Prob with self tapers is even with low speed on the cordless you run the risk of striping the thread but if the hole is paped you can use your fingers to screw in the screw/bolt then just nip it up with a screwdriver.

Replied on: 19 Jan 2007 11:33:48 AM
Punkin mentioned grab rails. Actually they come fitted with stainless steel grab rails. There is quite a lip on the gunwale so they are bolted on with the bolt easily accessible. No doubt you can use the lip to bolt on things like canopies, rod holder and rocket launchers.

Replied on: 19 Jan 2007 7:52:27 PM
mrs.p and i have owned our poly for 2 years.the first thing fitted were two rod holders brand berkley.these were fitted to the boat using self tappers.after reading this string i have gone out to the boat and carefully checked the installation there is no sign of the screws lossingly or fatigue in the plastic.on sunday i will be fitting a 3 step boarding ladder using 1inch nuts and bolts without the use of a sandwich construction technique only time will tell if this will be successful.the wife needs a ladder.
brownup if you have any suggestions i would be glad of them
tightlines all.

Reply author: kevpun
Replied on: 21 Jan 2007 12:34:12 AM
Does anyone know anyone with a polycraft tough tender? Looks like it'd be a bit more fun than an inflatable - particularly when they go flat!

Not planning to use it as a tender - more for fishing where the water is calm and it's not viable to put my bigger boat in.

Kev.

Replied on: 21 Jan 2007 10:04:10 AM
Hi Kevpun

Go to http://www.polyboatowners.com/forum/ they have a few tuff tenders owners there

Replied on: 21 Jan 2007 11:29:33 AM
I READ IN A STRING BY TRIM ON WINDSHIELDS,THAT THERE WERE A COUPLE OF POLYS FOR SALE.INFERING THAT THEY DID NOT SUIT EVERYONE,NO THEY DONT IT WOULD BE A DULL WORLD IF THEY DID.WHAT HE NEGLECTED TO SAY WAS THAT THERE WERE APPROX.18 TINNIES AND 11 GLASS FOR SALE.SURELY THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE OWNERS ARE ABOUT TO RUN OUT AND BUY POLYS,MAYBE THEY ARE.

Replied on: 21 Jan 2007 2:54:40 PM
just think is a must on this forum

Insert Image:

6.28 KB

Reply author: craftycarp
Replied on: 05 Apr 2007 08:18:11 AM
Boy this has been an epic thread.

Replied on: 05 Apr 2007 10:06:38 PM
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Fed

You are very correct there Ed

Tinny's & Plate boats are designed with one purpose in mind

A FISHING PLATFORM

I'm with you in thinking comments about the PolyCracker boats have flexability purposely build into them are a load of hogwash.

I'm no expert on plastic but know enough it all flex's esp when it's had heat applied & a day out in the sun most definately can do this irrellevent whether the temp of the water is cooling it down.

browny you mentioned high density plastic
What's density have to do with rigidness ?
Cause that's the only way you'll stop the flex & if you added rigidness or tensile strength to the PolyCracker's then they wouls definately start cracking up left, right & centre.

There is no way that Polys have been designed with flex in mind! ... The flex comes from the grade of plastic used LDPE ... Is too soft ..... LLDPE is stronger (& is what most roto products are made out of) ..... HDPE is harder to roto mould (flow issues) ..... Therefore its a case of what the old guard is used to using in the roto moulding market ... & that is LLDPE ...... There are much better types of plastics to use ! .... The trouble is that you cant roto mould with them!

brownys point is valid .... Density has a lot to do with rigidity (Low density is soft & sloppy ... while High density is more rigid ! ... think about cling wrap Vs a shopping bag ..... NAGG

Replied on: 05 Apr 2007 11:00:08 PM
You're not making sense NAGG unless I'm misreading you ?????????

1st you go on to say

quote:
There is no way that Polys have been designed with flex in mind!

That is what I originally said when I pulled up browny but then you go on to say browny was correct.

What am I missing ??

Since my last post in this thread I've spoken to a mate in the boating industry in turn he gets stuff made up @ a local engineering place which do boatwork dont know the owner of that shop personally but brought up in conversation were the poly's.

For a boat which comes out of the same moulds you'd think jigs could be made as a permanent template by that I mean the engineering Co attempted to make jigs cause they were given a fair few fitouts to do on the poly's & those jigs were thrown out.

Reason being no 2 poly's were the same & nothing lined up each job then had to be individually tailored to the boat.

Must be a hell of a lot of distortion when moulding the poly's ?

Replied on: 06 Apr 2007 6:37:42 PM
J.G. is there any way to find out what the jigs were for as it dose not sound right.
this is not a shot at u in any way as u are quoting some one else

Replied on: 06 Apr 2007 7:24:34 PM
Yeah I can ask next time I see the guy, but think you misunderstood me.

The jigs I mentioned were to use on Accessories by that I mean stuff that cimes to mind bow rails, tubework etc.

The guy I mentioned was getting a few poly's come through his shop & as most places with repetitive work will do is make jigs no different to Co's making say bullbars/towbars for say 4WD's.

They'll make a master jig taken from the vehicle in Q & work to that way all pre drilled holes etc will line up when time comes to fit product.

As you can imagine even attempting to do a tack weld on a glass boat let alone a plastic one will result in damage to both the glass & plastic boat just through heat transfer alone.

So the sensible thing to do is make jigs that way esp on the poly's no heat comes in contact with boat, what my original statement was you put these jigs which were built esp for the poly's every boat was out of whack now the jigs are made of steel so very little chance they moved.

Replied on: 06 Apr 2007 7:32:45 PM
Here's one guy in the US willing to give poly boats the thumbs up, as well as an analysis of the poly boat doomscryers and catastrophists!

"I too have seen the thread on THT regarding the imminent demise of 'plastic" boats to the ravages of the sun and other causes. This is just the latest supposed Triumph/Logic "weakness" exposed on that site. I've seen several inquiries about Triumph boats meet the same sarcastic, vitriolic response from one particular member there who had what he considers a bad experience with Triumph and has made it his life's work to demean Triumph owners and degrade the boats. Other members, totally without experience with Triumph boats, chime in with derisive remarks and illogical analogies about plastic as well. NCAngler and others have posted responses to the diatribe but frankly it's like responding to your petulant nephew, there's no way to win and no way to shut him up.

Unfortunately, those looking for honest advice about Triumph boats see these posts and genuinely wonder about their veracity and validity. There are also allegations made that our forum is so biased as to exclude any kind of criticism of Triumph boats and dealers. Here's what I hope is a reasoned response:

1) Probably no boat manufacturer nor group of boat owners has had to defend their boats more than Triumph/Logic and its owners, not because of its history but because of perceptions and misconceptions about the process and substance of its manufacture. But a look at those other boating forums beyond the plastic baiting and bashing yields a wealth of threads dealing with owner concerns about other boats as well. Threads complaining about screws coming loose, water in the inner hull, delaminating gel coat, foam displacement and structural weakness, proper epoxy resins for repair, paint problems, on and on are started every day by folks having problems with their non plastic boats. No one is calling for a boating doomsday for them. Indeed cracks in a "glass" boat appear to have led to a tragic boat accident in Florida this past weekend. We're all in this together; stuff happens......we own boats, period!

2) Forget the pseudo or bogus scientific "evidence" put forth by the folks with a singular grudge and their Stockholm Syndrome-like followers and rely on two things; the empirical evidence of hundreds of boat owners who absolutely love these boats, have had no major failures on them in years of use (and abuse) and; the lack of safety recalls regarding any Triumph boats by the U.S.C.G. Go to http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/recalls_database.htm
and enter any boat brand, including the most popular boats in the Triumph class and in many instances you will find more than just the single pre-Triumph Logic Marine entry from 1997.

3) Triumph boats are not perfect. A little investigation and common sense will tell you that no boat is. Far from being company shills, the members of this forum have inquired about, vigorously discussed and proposed answers for a number of issues they have found with these boats. In many instances Triumph seems to have listened to the discourse. I'll bet we're not the only ones to have voiced concerns to the manufacturers of our floating avocations.

4) There will always be those whose vitriol outweighs their injury, whose voice seems to speak as loudly as reason, whose delight in causing turmoil and promoting blind following is sadly obvious. Ignore them! My Logic 186 is 6 years old. I'm told there's UV protection built into its Roplene that will protect it for as long as I'm around to abuse it. Right now evidence suggests that's true because, like yours, she's one of the best looking, most seaworthy, easiest to maintain, boats on the water".

http://www.triumphowners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2198&page=3

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 08:42:54 AM
J.G. i must disagree if there an amount of distortion in the molding of the boats it would make it impossible for out side contractor's to supply the bow and stern rails that come fitted as standard, the stern rail has to fit the 4.1 precisely as it is fitted right threw the gunnel rail with a tie down point attached.
the reason i respond to this thread is to try to allay any fears and concerns people may have about the quality of poly boats, i know u do not post out of malice but there are those that do not help as u will have seen in other threads the dumb sh3333t we get when posting about polys.
the wife and i would not hesitate to up grade to the larger 5.3 if the funds would allow.
P.S. thanks for the tip thread.

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 09:15:58 AM
The jigs would probably fit correctly on a hot day.

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 12:06:39 PM
Well poly I can only go by what I was told & the guy did make the jigs & the boats that came through his shop all varied.

quote:
J.G. i must disagree if there an amount of distortion in the molding of the boats it would make it impossible for out side contractor's to supply the bow and stern rails that come fitted as standard, the stern rail has to fit the 4.1 precisely as it is fitted right threw the gunnel rail with a tie down point attached.

I have no idea where the boats are made or if they come fitted with rails from the factory or if the dealers supplied them as a option as in the case of the person I've been refering about dealers commisioned him to make & supply accesories that didn't fit his jigs.

You as a poly buyer would not be privy to where the rails came from & unless the poly factory has it's own metal fabrication shop which I doubt then those accesories I'm refering to are cintracted elsewhere.

Now maybe in the poly factory the boats a stored in cradles or such prior to shipping & these cradles would be identical but once the boat is put on a trailer then I can see how a plastic boat would flex to buggery with different resting points on the trailer so in my view I am totally correct when I said jigs dont move & the boats did.

I might have a crack @ the PolyWantAcRackers along the way but have never said they were rubbish nor have any real opinion on them as I have no intentions of owning one as they dont suit my needs as you know I own Alloy boats & with good reason I can do just about anything to them.

BUT ! if I see rubbish claims posted about poly's or any other hull type material including Alloy I will shoot them down if I believe them to be false cant help myself I call it conversation

Hey Fed !

Not a bad idea might go down & suggest to the guy who made the jigs to get a Baking Oven the type panel shops use as their spray booths that'll make the poly's fit the jigs

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 4:15:46 PM
quote:

You're not making sense NAGG unless I'm misreading you ?????????

1st you go on to say

quote:
There is no way that Polys have been designed with flex in mind!

That is what I originally said when I pulled up browny but then you go on to say browny was correct.

What am I missing ??

Since my last post in this thread I've spoken to a mate in the boating industry in turn he gets stuff made up @ a local engineering place which do boatwork dont know the owner of that shop personally but brought up in conversation were the poly's.

For a boat which comes out of the same moulds you'd think jigs could be made as a permanent template by that I mean the engineering Co attempted to make jigs cause they were given a fair few fitouts to do on the poly's & those jigs were thrown out.

Reason being no 2 poly's were the same & nothing lined up each job then had to be individually tailored to the boat.

Must be a hell of a lot of distortion when moulding the poly's ?

Jumpus .... What I'm saying is that the flex is just part of the physical properties of the polymer! I dont think it is a conscience decision during the design phase as the moulders choice of polyethylene grades is limited (suitability) .. So the flex you inherently have from the poly grade used offers the benefit of a softer ride.... NAGG
PS The density issue??? You can get different densities of Polyethylene but only a limited number of grades will work in roto moulding

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 5:01:48 PM
Well that's not how I read it & your previous reply sounded like a huge contradiction of itself, thats why I asked if I was mis-reading you.

My knowledge of plastics is limimited to the basics & with any of my replies here, they are based on logic so when browny claimed flex was purposely build into the boat for a softer ride being the Jumpus that I am Of course I was always going to have a go @ that statement as Mr Spock would It's Illogical Capt

And now you're saying that only certain types/grades of Polyethylene can be used in the moulding process which makes more sense either way if I'm not mistaken the poly boat manufacturer's have no say in how much flex the boat is capable off & the flex it does have has come around by shear fluke not because they cleverly engineered their own special coctail of Polyethylene ?

Even Alloy boats have flex I argued the difference between Tensile grade plate opposed to the more common sheet which had ribs pressed into it to achieve similar strength boy did I have a hard time trying to convince a couple of peeps.

But you look on the underside of any decent Tensile grade plate boat you will see no give on the plate @ all except where a little bit of annealing has taken place around welded area's.

Then you go have a look @ boat with pressed/rolled ribs which isn't done to tensile plate, even with these pressed/rolled ribs which are added to strengthen the sheet you cant help to notice how the sheet has flexed over time pounding the ocean & this is why tinny's crack their welds very very rare to see cracks in a proper plate boat.

Poor browny I'm starting to feel guilty bagging all his comments

Reply author: craftycarp
Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 5:26:44 PM
After reading this thread I have decided to buy a polycraft. Thanks for all the advice (for and against)

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 6:45:37 PM
Its not just the type of plastic that controls the degree of flex its the thickness as well. Polycraft varies the hull thickness from 1cm in the 4.1 model to 2cm in the case of the 5.99 model. Also the outer hull is welded to the inner hull in places by way of a disk type structure. These disks act as stiffeners, a bit like stringers in a fiberglass boat. So the can control the degree of stiffness by the number of these disks.

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 7:14:12 PM
I'm talking from a Engineering point of view when I say those disk type structure you are talking about have little or no bearing whether the hull flex's by that I mean they are there for a different purpose than the one your are giving.

No different to a Alloy Tinny if the skins were welded skin to skin then the welds would be cracking left, right & centre so extrusion is used to slip part of the skins into a groove making for a stronger join.

I believe the same goes for the poly's. if they were welded without the disk that you mention then I'm very certain they would crack wothout fail the moment they got a pounding probally woundn't even need a pounding just shear weight sitting on trailer with temp fluctuations would do the trick let alone trailering the rog over a bumby road.

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 7:46:03 PM
The outer hull is all one piece Jumpus, there are no welds like in a tinnie! The polycrafts have an inner hull as well. This where the disks come in. They connect the outer hull to the inner hull and so add stiffness.

Replied on: 07 Apr 2007 8:06:44 PM
I've never seen a poly & in that case I think the disks you are refering to are there for the specific purpose of spacing the 2 skins.
Similar to say a stud gyprock wall sheets would buckle in & out if studs weren't there same goes for the poly esp up the bow section where the sheets curve to a point in that are sheets would definately touch if spacers weren't present.

As I said previously dont believe what you refered to as the disks were put there to control the boats flex properties but having said that & being told there is an inner & outer skin I can sse how this can attribute to the boat beit alot more rigid than with just the one skin.

Bear in mind any comment I make in regards to these polyWantAcRackers is based on what is posted here & have never looked @ one up close.

Replied on: 10 Apr 2007 3:33:13 PM
J.G. i would be only to happy to meat with u at greenwell point one day so u can see how well they are made or not, i am not trying to make out that they are the best thing since sliced bread just that they do there job well, this way u can say u have had a good look over one, not that u would buy one with your skills in metal work.

Replied on: 10 Apr 2007 4:16:20 PM
poly I've said many a time through this thread that I really dont have an opinion on the poly's one way or the other & they dont interest me.

The only reason I got involved in this thread was because unwarranted rubbish was put on the Alloy & Glass boats, My preference are the Alloy boats Boats & yes they do have faults but more so because of the way people set them up not the boat itself.

Since being on this site I've been involved in arguements Alloy v Glass listened to what peeps have to say & told them what a load of bull but thats my opinion.

Get sick & tired of hearing Glass boats ride better than a good Plate Alloy Boat but would like any of those Glass lovers keep up with me when I'm driving mine.

Mind you with the hrs I've accumilated over the years think I've earned the right to speak from expirience & I know how to set up a boat tpo get it's full potential working for it, people also rave on about the ride in a cat gave one 1/2 a mile headstart the other week punching into a Sth Wester & still beat it in by 1/2 a mile & that was over a 5 mile run with the cxat having to veer Nth to get a better ride where I pulled speeds up to 20 knots with ease.

You see poly there's alot more to a good boat than the material it's made off & it's design with mine I & my crew always feel safe when peeps come in I go out etc.

Now even if you gave me a poly with same or similar design to mine I wouldn't feel anywhere as safe in it same goes with lessor alloy boats & there's not that many glass boats that I like either.

But if your happy with your poly thats all that matters but dont expect me not to pick one to death if I saw one I'd pick on things you wouldn't have thought of having saod that I know exactly what I want in & out of a boat & it would only be my personal view.

Just like last night when I caught up with a mate back @ the ramp we were there for a while having a chat & parked our boats side by side to compare them mines 23 ft penguin & his is a 20 ft Predator, beam wise etc not that much difference both hard tops but mine is balance his is to far forward in my books & boat rides nose heavy gunnel hight mine is what I think 2b perfect just above my knee's & his is up around my private parts.

On the water is another story no way his rides as good as mine & not just because I've got twins & plenty of torque either it's weight balance in the boat taken @ night here's the 2 side by side to look @ them you wouldn't expect a great deal of difference but there is

Insert Image:

51.33 KB

Replied on: 10 Apr 2007 4:41:59 PM
like i said i am not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread, if you felt the need to pick it to peaces, then i would be only to happy to listen what u have to say. at least we would learn a little more about Passion as i can see u love boating just as much as the fishing
you are quite right i can not see a lot from the pitcher so i will take your word for the diferance.

Replied on: 10 Apr 2007 4:55:15 PM
poly not all of us share the same views whether fishing or boating I started with a canoe these days I can afford alot more & years in the water dictate what I have boatwise & yeah I love my boating even back B4 retiring boats were my peacefull place no phones nobody nagging me just me & the ocean I still love it out there even when conditions are crappy.

By all means enjoy your poly thats why you bought it I'll let you know when next I go down to Greenwell.

Greenwell is one of the reasons I kept my little tinny & didn't sell it

Replied on: 11 Apr 2007 3:34:09 PM
ok J.G. i will see u there, if u could just give me a couple of day's notice so i can get a day of work.

Replied on: 11 Apr 2007 4:04:26 PM
Most likely on a weekend day now poly I'll be a bit tied up for next couple of months.
Started doing a bit of work 2day & I didn't like it one bit so I came home early

Last trip down there wasn't that crash hot went down for the day just some Brims & flatones.

Replied on: 11 Apr 2007 4:19:55 PM
i was down there two weeks ago, 3 just legal reds a Sargent baker.
if the weather is OK i am going down the weekend after next, i will let u know how i go not much sense towing the boat down if there isn't much around.

Replied on: 11 Apr 2007 5:26:49 PM
I have a few mates who live there & they're saying good Reds are to be found in JB but I'd stoll fish my spots for them.

Basically the same old story fish where you know & you'll catch fish unless someone who knows a spot is with you a new spot generally wont produce.

As was apparant on my last trip down trip B4 we brained the flatones on SP's the trip B4 this time none were to be found in that area so we had to re-locate them all over again.

Been fishing the area nearly 30 years now but mostly the outside reefs/wash's estuary fishing is a different ball game & learning all over again

Replied on: 13 Apr 2007 5:18:53 PM
yuk we both used the work word, no more swearing please

Sportsfish Australia : http://www.sportsfish.com.au/forum/

© Sportsfish Australia 2000 - 2014

Close Window