Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ    
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The photography Lab
 Camera Equipment, Hints and Tips!
 Waterproof camera's v's Housing ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bloomyaway
Ausbass Member

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  16:16:55  Show Profile Send Bloomyaway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All,

Mave been looking at waterproof cameras versus the camera plus housing option given that the combination of something like a canon powershot G11 + housing is north of $700 and something like a Nikon coolpix AW100 and similar are around the $300 - $400 mark.

It is not for fair dinkum underwater potography but is for good photography, sometimes involving water (shallow water estuary/Bass etc in clear shallow water). Hence I am a little nervous on the point and shoot of the cheaper camera's when taking on the water (as opposed to in the water) photography.

Any comments ??

Thanks

Bloomy

tigesinaus
Ausbass Member

174 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  16:34:10  Show Profile Send tigesinaus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have had an olympus Utough for a couple of years now. It has been fantastic. It has come on every fishing trip... fresh, salt, kayak, boat, hiking, snorkelling.. you name it.. It has had a REALLY hard life and has been flawless. It is 8 or 10mp and takes great photos, and the newer ones are cheaper and have better mp ratings. Definitely worth a look.
I imagine the coolpix is something similar also.
Go to Top of Page

Dishley
Ausbass Member

1657 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  18:20:09  Show Profile Send Dishley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Utough is just approaching the 2 year mark and won't even turn on now....... It has taken some great shots though.
Go to Top of Page

Storms
Ausbass Member

238 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  21:57:35  Show Profile Send Storms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
had a olympus replaced free of charge and it was 6 months out of warranty-stopped focussing when the zoom was used after many hard times at the beach and the kids on waterslides at wet'n'wild killed it-can't complain about Olympus customer service....the replacement has been going strong for 3 years now and as recommended by olympus the seals have been replaced annually.....

I can recommend the olympus but it struggles a bit in very sunny conditions and the flash is too bright in auto and not quite enough when you back it down manually.....

My vote goes to our recent purchase of a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT10 awesome little camera above and below the water--my son recieved a fuji all weather for christmas last year-he is only 12 and has given it a fair bit and the shots are great.
Go to Top of Page

Bass1
Ausbass Member

2204 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2012 :  22:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Bass1's Homepage Send Bass1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have killed 2 Olympus now, one leaked due to failed seals at 13 months the other lost it's focus at 14 months, I would never buy another Olympus. I then got a Canon G12 and kept it in a dry sack until it was stolen from my car....I now have nothing I will replace the G12 soonish as they are exceptional cameras and super tough, I would still go with the a dry sac option. I am also looking at getting a GoPro as well for in/on water action shots.
Go to Top of Page

Bloomyaway
Ausbass Member

189 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  16:46:30  Show Profile Send Bloomyaway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve,

You mean that you take photo's while the camera is in a dry sack? or you keep it in a dry sack until you need it and then remove?

I have found issues with condensation inside 'dry sacks' from wet hands etc. when the camera comes in and out of the bag.

Thanks

Bloomy
Go to Top of Page

nutter
Ausbass Member

1332 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  18:42:21  Show Profile  Visit nutter's Homepage Send nutter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ive played around a bit with underwater stuff and keep going back to my old Canon G9 in a underwater housing. The new G12 is a super bit of gear and would jump that way. Yes its extra $$$$$$$$ but well worth it. The housing comes with a flash de fusser which is a must for underwater pics.

I got the wife a olympus tough when she did Kokoda due to mud and water. The pics are crap compared to the canon.

A few friends that wright for Magazines use the G12 as its smaller than a DSLR and still as good.

Go to Top of Page

Bass1
Ausbass Member

2204 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  20:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Bass1's Homepage Send Bass1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bloomy, I've never had a problem with condensation in a dry sack (I use Sea to Summit dry sacks with the compresion valve and a cotton wrap inside). I also used a pelican case at times which was also super good but a little heavy for the backcountry hike in stuff. The water resitant casings are just too bulky for me, the exception appears to be the GoPro. The G12 can be purchased for around $420 now, the quality can not be bettered yet..., if you drown it you have not lost too many $$, having said that I can't afford to replace mine :-(.

Edited by - Bass1 on 24/05/2012 20:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Bloomyaway
Ausbass Member

189 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2012 :  20:44:52  Show Profile Send Bloomyaway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THanks All - Happy snapping
Go to Top of Page

Avishowser
Ausbass Member

1 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2012 :  21:19:12  Show Profile Send Avishowser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHy not try something even cheaper like a:
http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/otek-watersportz-8mp-4x-zoom-underwater-digital-camera-yellow/

at $70 a piece you could pick up a few for a dive, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Bloomyaway
Ausbass Member

189 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  17:02:17  Show Profile Send Bloomyaway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To renew this thread, has anyone used one of these for a DSLR?

Reasonable insurance policy when on the water, just wonder about access to controls.

Insert Image:

28.58 KB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AusBass Forums © 2000-2014 AusBass.com.au Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000